ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#220671 04/09/20 12:55 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hey guys,
What are you guys using these days?
I realise that there has been a marked move away from your traditional desktop computer and towards laptops, iPads, etc.

For me, I still favour the desktop at home, I have a new one that I built this summer just gone that uses Windows 10, it runs two monitors and does the bulk of my computer stuff.

My second desktop, it runs Windows XP and it runs various radio gear control programs, it isn't connected to the Internet.

I also bought a small Asus net-book that I upgraded the SSD drive in, to 250GB and also upgraded the RAM and the BIOS, this stores 7000+ MP3 music files, effectively it's only really a Media Player, it runs Ubuntu and has MediaMonkey as the actual Player.

I had an iPad when I first went out on my own, it stopped working one day out on site, it failed to charge and went flat, I tested the cable, the voltage was correct, the socket was damaged.
I spoke to the company that I bought it from, they said that was a common thing with refurbished iPad's, it's still sitting on my workbench, they wouldn't give me a replacement or a refund.
So no more iPad's for me.

What are you guys using?

The floor is wide open..........

G
I have 5 dual core Intel machines running W/7 (one is a laptop), Most are media machines hooked to TVs. This one is next to my lazboy and my work horse. Everything is on the network. I have an XP laptop I use for scanning codes from my car, boat and some other utility stuff. It still runs some old 16 bit applications I use. I can hook it to the big screen TV in the living room if I want to run my moldy old CAD programs. I have another XP machine on my work bench I only use for disk prep and maintenance. It has every kind of disk cable running out the back. My W/98 machine is only used for that once in a blue moon FAX I may have to send or receive or using my large format SCSI scanner (17x22), that seldom gets used. It is just a nostalgia thing more than anything.

Greg Fretwell
OK, from a guy that is not the most savvy computer guy.....
Work is an HP Prodesk with 1 monitor on my desk.
Work laptop/tablet is a Panasonic FZ-G1 tablet/laptop that was just updated to Windows 10 by IT Dept.
(It was faster IMHO w/Windows 7)

Home I have a Toshiba Laptop w/Windows 10 on my desk
I have an iPad, which is probably 2 years old at least and been problem free.
My wife has an Apple MacAir and she is very happy, especially with the almost instant startup.

And for a phone, mine is an iPhone and the work phone is an Android unit.\

John
Desktop with 2 Monitors running Win 8.1,
Laptop with Win 8.1 that I use when traveling.
Laptop & an old Motion Tablet with XP that I use for keeping Inventory
Also Desktop with Windows 10 - which I don't use.
IPhone 7X

I'll avoid Windows 10 as long as I can - some programs I have won't run under it and, frankly, I don't feel like learning a new OS unless I have to.

Bill
G
I am still running some DOS programs but they run in DOSBOX that W/7 still supports. (Not the command prompt, a DOS emulator). XP would run those natively except it had problems with the extended memory manager in dBase. Occasionally I also had a glitch in the disk management. DOSBOX fixes all of that. I just created an entire DOS environment that looks and acts like one of my old 386 machines but is a whole lot faster.

Greg Fretwell
G
DOSBOX is a nice tool. I first used it for the Barber-Colman Microzone program, and for the programming software for Alcatel DS3 radios.

Work computer is a HP laptop with 250GB SSD and 8GB RAM, dock and 2 monitors. Boots up REAL fast.

I have an old desktop at home that last served as a second computer for my daughter's college work. Gathering dust now. The laptop I use for personal and contract work is an ASUS running a dual-boot setup, Ubuntu 18 and Windows 10 (I have three apps that must run W10 so I have to keep it around).

Wow, as a guy who admits not being computer savvy Greg and Grich leave my head spinning.

I have to stay away from this section!

Last edited by HotLine1; 04/17/20 01:29 PM.

John
J
This laptop is a Gateway running 8.1. Desktop is XP and only one I can run Generic CADD 6.0 on. Work desktop is a
Dell Win 7 machine that forced us into buying General CADD Pro.
Joe

M
Private label PC running win 8.1.

I was looking for a new laptop so I can use it in the living room while watching TV and right now where I am in Canada it seems everything is sold out due to business buying laptops for their WAH staff to use.

Is this just a local thing or are other locations having the same supply issues for new desktops / PC's?

G
Originally Posted by mbhydro
Private label PC running win 8.1.

I was looking for a new laptop so I can use it in the living room while watching TV and right now where I am in Canada it seems everything is sold out due to business buying laptops for their WAH staff to use.

Is this just a local thing or are other locations having the same supply issues for new desktops / PC's?

Never thought about that...Best Buy stores in my part of the world are closed, and I haven't ventured over by the electronics counters at Walmart or Target.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard