ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Trumpy #220688 04/09/20 09:29 PM
G
Most construction is still going on here and the folks I know in "maintenance" (HVAC, roofing, electrical and plumbing) are busier than ever. One of our big commercial maintenance operations was advertising for people tonight in the 6 PM news hour. They wanted everything from electricians to sheet metal fabricators. It is a bad time for waiters and bar tenders tho.

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy #220692 04/10/20 01:35 PM
T
Great to hear that!

I rode public transport to my work place for the first time in almost a month today because I really wanted some personal equipment and tools I'd left there (especially the RJ45 plugs and network tools, patch cords are quite important these days). Masks on public transport are only compulsory from Tuesday but I'd say about half the people already used them. Trains were pretty empty for a work day and generally everything felt very much like a Sunday. The museum where I work was deserted and instead of clocking in I had to sign in at the door (pen and paper) stating the reason for my visit.

Trumpy #220701 04/12/20 05:36 PM
Went to visit one set of Grandkids earlier for Easter. We're usually together, but this year We stayed out in the Driveway and they came out on the porch.

Later on , we had a 6 way FaceTime with all the Kids and Grandkids, (that was a bit unusual, didn't know we could do that!), but anyway, we were all together, but apart.

It's definitely a memory that will last a long time, and it will be one of those things my Grandkids can tell their Grandkids.

P.S. How was your Day?

Bill
Trumpy #220702 04/13/20 09:09 PM
B
I'm only working in vacant structures or outdoors, and if there are other trades around I won't be. All of our inspections are now remote video via Skype, Facetime and Google Duo.

Trumpy #220703 04/14/20 10:43 AM
C
I hope everyone here is safe.

Trumpy #220707 04/14/20 08:51 PM
B
I just scheduled a residential power kill with the POCO line crew for a residential service upgrade and they are more than a month out. Of course the clients are always in a big hurry and want to know how we can skirt the rules. Sometimes they find someone else who will do it without permits and without POCO involvement. Not us.

BigB #220709 04/15/20 01:18 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by BigB
Sometimes they find someone else who will do it without permits and without POCO involvement. Not us.

Maybe I'm a bit thick or something, but I can't work out why a "company" would do this, sure, you got the job and all, but what happens if something goes wrong (which is always on the card when you're doing a job like that) and equipment gets damaged or someone gets electrocuted or both.
And that is effectively what you're left with, explaining how this all came to happen in the first place.

BigB,
I totally agree with you 1000%, I'm the sort of guy that understands that, if there are rules to be followed, that is exactly what will be done.
I have no time at all for those that like to flout the law.

Trumpy #220711 04/15/20 02:00 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I don't want this thread getting off-topic or anything, but I noticed one thing this afternoon.
Over here in New Zealand, only the supermarkets (which has been a duopoly for years) are allowed to stay open, all of the independent local butchers, fruit and vegetable markets and the like, had to close down. mad

The reasoning behind this is apparently "to limit virus spread and to make sure that good hygiene practice is maintained, when purchasing food products"

My eye-teeth it is, I went to get some basics, like milk, some eggs, a couple of loaves of bread and some instant coffee.
The prices for these items, are nothing like they were 2 weeks ago, upon going through the self-service, these items came to some outlandish amount, I really felt like leaving it all there and walking out, but I needed it.

If this isn't price-gouging, I don't know what is, it really annoyed me, they want people to eat healthily, during a time like this, you can, at a price.
The people I feel really sorry for is pensioners that have a set income, adding an extra profit margin by the supermarkets, is just not good enough.
Bear in mind, winter is coming over here, these people will also more than likely be trying to save as much as they can, so that they can actually pay their power bills over this time.

As for the hygiene practices, not a single staff member in the supermarket was wearing gloves or a mask, when I first went through the entry door the hand sanitiser dispenser had run out.

This is simple profiteering, allowed by the Government.

I will now climb off my soap-box and go and cook my $50 eggs. grin

Trumpy #220712 04/15/20 12:15 PM
Trumpy:

Sorry to hear the price gougers are at it in NZ. We have had some of that here, but not $50 eggs.

As to 'retail', the supermarkets are open, the occupancy has been cut to >50% of 'normal', and some of the few butcher shops I pass are 'open' with people standing at the door, and the employees taking the orders there. Entry to the supermarkets, big boxes, etc., is being denied if people do not have face covering.

Some restaurants are open for take out only, with call-in ordering and curbside pickups. I really feel for them. Yesterday I went to an adjacent town to my favorite Italian deli only to find that they shut down as of Monday.

There has been some static about the 'big box' stores selling some items that 'others' can't because they are not 'essential'. ie: clothing, household items, toys, etc. That adds to the chaos.

There were a few gougers that were peddling PPE items, like N-95 masks for >$6.00 each, and hand sanitizer for more than a rare bottle of scotch. There also is a lot of PPE items popping up in ads from who knows where at really high prices.

Most retail now requires everyone to wear some type of face covering to enter. BTW, Liquor Stores are considered 'essential' and are open.

The warehouse store I shop at has been (IMHO) GREAT at doing there best to sanitize and keep the social distancing suggested 'rule'. They spray down all the carts, only give customers a cart from inside, wipe the handle again, and offer gloves and a mask to those who don't have one. IMHO, that is above and beyond.

Hopefully, this will come to pass soon, a lot of rumors floating around.

John
Trumpy #220715 04/15/20 04:32 PM
G
The retailers are saying they are just passing on price hikes they are seeing at the wholesale level and the guy I saw was specifically talking about eggs, saying how much more he paid per pallet.
We are still seeing shortages of a lot of products (Paper goods, sanitizers, PPE etc) but the food distribution seems to be keeping up now. I guess everyone has more food than they can eat or store and they ended up throwing some of the perishables away when they spoiled. That sort of thing is almost back to normal.

I do question some of these PPE fads. They had a news girl on TV showing us how not following proper protocols can make masks and gloves worse than nothing at all. She really looked like she was doing everything right but when they shined the U/V light on her, she had the "infection" (a harmless U/V powder) everywhere, simply by picking it up on the gloves and then spreading it around. Just wrapping a bandanna around your face only makes it harder to identify you if you are robbing the place. It probably doesn't make you or anyone else safer unless you always use a clean one and you handle the dirty one properly. It is no accident that medical people generally use something once, carefully remove it and dispose of it right away. Reusing masks and gloves is like reusing condoms.

I did learn one thing from the TV demonstration ... wash your face often too. The girl had contamination on her face, mostly her forehead, that would have been fairly safe until she removed her mask, gloves and washed her hands. Then thinking she was safe, she smeared the contamination all over her face, including the danger areas around the mouth and nose. Part of that was the typically female habit of unconsciously brushing her hair out of her eyes. That could have just as easily been sweat tho if it is hot outside. Once you contaminate your hands again, you are off to the races.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard