ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
We had an arc flash incident here and everyone was shocked. My first question was why a guy was working hot in a 1600a switchboard without PPE and people just look me like "What do you mean"?
There are lots of cowboys around here who do not have a clue about safety.
I used to work for a big company that made safety a condition of employment and my wife carried that on to the big company she built houses for. (no PPE, get off the job site until you get it, sort of thing)
She used to condemn bad extension cords, stop people from making home built ladders and scaffolding on drywall buckets. Everyone wears real footwear, hardhats as soon as the walls are up and safety glasses.
I have safety glasses with me all the time (my sunglasses) and to this day I wear no metal. (I saw a ring melt on a guys finger once).
It seems to be the little shops and sole proprietors who don't care. I guess they are not attracting enough attention from the insurance company or they think they are supposed to pay out the nose. In a big company, there is money to be saved if you can demonstrate an effective safety program. I guess the OSHA fines may be higher too.

Greg Fretwell
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
I had a solution for the sweaty ears problem when I worked in a metal stamping plant.
Wad up a few layers of TP and stick them in the cups.
It sucked up the sweat and was simple enough to change when needed (which in summer could be every hour or so).

Ghost307
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell

I used to work for a big company that made safety a condition of employment and my wife carried that on to the big company she built houses for. (no PPE, get off the job site until you get it, sort of thing)
She used to condemn bad extension cords, stop people from making home built ladders and scaffolding on drywall buckets. Everyone wears real footwear, hardhats as soon as the walls are up and safety glasses.
I have safety glasses with me all the time (my sunglasses) and to this day I wear no metal. (I saw a ring melt on a guys finger once).

Greg,
I like you and your wife's attitude, if you can't turn up to your normal work day with the required PPE, in my opinion, you have no reason being there, no matter what you are employed as.

I once saw a guy using a 9" angle grinder, years ago, he had safety glasses on and a flip-up visor on over the top of it.
The guy working about 9' away from him had no safety gear on at all, apart from some gloves, I think.
The cut-off disc the guy was using shattered at full speed, the guy without the PPE on copped a large piece of it between the eyes and there were bits imbedded in each eye.
All we could do was stop the bleeding and put two doughnut bandages over both eyes until the ambulance arrived.
The guy that was wearing the PPE, ended up with a shard of the disc embedded in the visor, he gave us a hand to load the other guy into the ambulance.
The other guy lost an eye and needed surgery on his eye socket in the other one.
PPE is so simple to wear, so easy to put on, only an idiot would not want to use it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard