ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
sparky Offline OP
Yeah, i'd love to hear from them HotOne, know some from multiple forums too......and I don't mean to be an old curmudgeon about all this , but the world is turning a lot faster than I can agree with lately

~S~

PS, hold my calls, i'll be hiding under my bed smile

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
There might be a job for someone who just taught a seminar about how to take tests. Reading comprehension is a huge part of why people fail, then there are just "test tricks" where you get inside the head of the guy writing the test and make educated guesses, even if you don't have a clue. I got a lot of that in both my Navy instructor training and my IBM instructor training but coming from the other side, not being too predictable. They do throw curves at you in tests that make them more complicated than "What is the maximum copper GEC size for a Ufer ground"?
I think a lot of otherwise talented electricians are failing the test, simply because they misread the question or don't understand where the test writer is going with it.

Greg Fretwell
S
sparky Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
There might be a job for someone who just taught a seminar about how to take tests. Reading comprehension is a huge part of why people fail, then there are just "test tricks" where you get inside the head of the guy writing the test and make educated guesses, even if you don't have a clue. I got a lot of that in both my Navy instructor training and my IBM instructor training but coming from the other side, not being too predictable. They do throw curves at you in tests that make them more complicated than "What is the maximum copper GEC size for a Ufer ground"?
I think a lot of otherwise talented electricians are failing the test, simply because they misread the question or don't understand where the test writer is going with it.

I can recall some of my mentors tutoring me for such things Greg.

But the fact is, maybe 2/3rds pass a Jman, and less than 1/2 pass a masters first shot

And that's not isolated to ONE state,last i heard we were subject to an eastern seaboard proctor ,maybe more?

So maybe the real problem here is just being disguised , overlooked, made excuses for, check this out

~S~

G
That may be a little deceptive. You don't need a PHD in Voltaire to know all about High Voltage.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Here (NJ) there have been ‘trade’ classes at the County levels for those that are interested in learning. There are day and nite classes, and the tuition at the County Vo-Tech’s is reasonable. “Cheap”, compared to the private tech schools.

Over the years, I hired a few grads from Tech, and was very happy, both with their workmanship, and desire to work in the trade and learn. One of these young guys gave his 2 was notice, moved to Fla., eventually took the required tests there, got his licenses, and is doing ok.

There are classes at the County colleges for Exam Prep, and a lot of ‘private’ operators that offer Exam Prep, from EC tests to all levels of Inspectors tests. Naturally, the ‘prep’ courses cost $$$. More economical way to ‘learn’ in visit Mr. Bills bookstore, books and CDs/DVDs.

As to a PHD for HV, I came upon a few guys who must have failed the 13.2KV chapters. OLd proverb, “don’t mess with what you don’t know”

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard