ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Originally Posted by Potseal
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Greg,
I fully understand what you're saying, I mean, everyone wants to go home in the same state they came to work, with all their fingers, arms, legs and stuff like that.
But every now and then there will be a crew of guys that will do the job so much cheaper, no safety gear or an observer (especially trimming trees around live 22kV lines), a branch fell over two phases. and the guy tried to pull the branch off as it was burning, with his bare hand, he died on the spot, after the current went through his shoes.
Why is this stuff so difficult to get into people's heads?

It's amazing what some people will do when they panic or just don't stop and think.

Our shop's safety officer will routinely jump in a vehicle and not wear a seat belt because we're travelling a distance that is a few minutes away (unless I'm driving then we don't move until it's on). But get caught without hearing protection or such and he's all over you.
I read an interesting academic study about safety a few years ago: the researchers discovered people simply do not accurately assess personal risk, and that the only reason most people wear proper PPE and follow proper safety precautions is because their boss forces them to.

People get complacent and won't on their own take measures to increase their safety, but they will if their boss keeps giving them crap and threatening disciplinary action if they don't. Safety standdowns and constantly stressing safety were found do do jack squat to worker compliance, but the researchers found management pressure helped change culture at the supervisory level, and supervisors being hardasses had a big impact to safety and reduction of injuries. So, you bosses out there? Keep giving your people crap about hardhats, safety glasses, muffs, and fall protection! And if you're your own boss? Do it anyway. Stay safe out there, friends!

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
O

Средства индивидуальной защиты - вот, то что нужно для обеспечения безопасности на высоте, а для агитации безопасности на высоте применять плакаты по охране труда

К работе на высоте допущен должен быть только обученный персонал и у них обязательно должно быть Удостоверение

G
Now the Russians are meddling in our erections (scaffold erections that is) wink

Greg Fretwell
G
For those Russian impaired it says
Means of individual protection - that's what you need to ensure safety at altitude, and for campaigning at the height of safety to apply posters on labor protection

To work at the height, only trained personnel should be admitted and they must have a Certificate

Greg Fretwell
S
Thanks for the translation.

Shane

G
Google to the rescue. That is what they say it means but like most literal translations the grammar may be a little fractured. It does sound like the same kind of legal boiler plate we see here tho.

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy:

Back to your starting post.

My procedure for myself and my Inspectors when lifts, snorkels are required is OSHA Regs must be followed, Harness & lanyard and tie-off to the work platform.

Roof access via interior ladders should also follow the regs, most are <50’, and most (not all) have landings 1/2 or 1/3 of the heights to catch a breath. This is usually for inspections of roof top HVAC units or similar mechanicals.

The large, ‘long term’ solar jobs have been installing exterior scaffolding type full blown staircases. Lifts to get the crew up consume time, for waiting for accent and decent, and capacity. I guess there is a financial incentive to the staircase. Me, I’m tired and us the lift or snorkel before the 1M Sq Ft roof walk.

Oh yes, all inspectors have hard hats, flame retardant safety vests, glasses, gloves, ear protection. Fire extinguishers and First aid kits in each vehicle.

John
G
That 4 plex we are building is an OSHA nightmare. I don't really have any authority to do anything. I am not the builder, the inspector or the job super. We are just watching the place. It took us almost a month to get rails on a 3 story staircase. (the one my dog rappelled down on a retracto leash) The 1st floor is 16 feet so it is higher than it sounds.
Right now the have a 3 story scaffold up and the stucco guys are working without any fall protection at all. I also have not seen a hard hat on anyone but me. They give me a funny look.
There is a lull on site and that is the elevator.
I am still waiting to see how they will provide access to the condensers hanging on the side of the building, 16 feet up.
Maybe you have to climb out the window.

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by Potseal

It's amazing what some people will do when they panic or just don't stop and think.

Our shop's safety officer will routinely jump in a vehicle and not wear a seat belt because we're travelling a distance that is a few minutes away (unless I'm driving then we don't move until it's on). But get caught without hearing protection or such and he's all over you.

Dwayne,
There is absolutely NO reason in this day and age where people should be in a moving vehicle with no seat-belt on.
I had an apprentice once that used to do the same thing every time he'd get in the passengers seat of my work ute,
I happened to say to him about this one day, as it was getting really tiring asking him to put his seat-belt on, constantly.
Upon asking him wether his attitude to electrical safety was the same as his attitude to wearing a seat-belt and why there seemed to be a difference, he couldn't give me a definitive answer to that, but the seat-belt started getting used all the time after that. cool

Originally Posted by SteveFehr

I read an interesting academic study about safety a few years ago: the researchers discovered people simply do not accurately assess personal risk, and that the only reason most people wear proper PPE and follow proper safety precautions is because their boss forces them to.

Yeah Steve, I see this all the time, I mean seriously, if you're complaining that your earmuffs make your ears sweat or your hard-hat messes your hair-do up, you need to take stock of your career choice. grin
The attitude that a person only wears PPE, because their employer requires them to, is totally wrong.
I have been in so many dangerous situations in my working life that to NOT wear the appropriate PPE, seems not only stupid, but bordering on criminal negligence, should an accident occur.
Over here in New Zealand, it is the employer that will get stung with HUGE fines by WorkSafe here, not the employee that was not intelligent enough to follow common-sense, when working with an elevated risk level.

Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Trumpy:

My procedure for myself and my Inspectors when lifts, snorkels are required is OSHA Regs must be followed, Harness & lanyard and tie-off to the work platform.

Oh yes, all inspectors have hard hats, flame retardant safety vests, glasses, gloves, ear protection. Fire extinguishers and First aid kits in each vehicle.

Absolutely John,
I was lucky that I had a lot of training in height safety with the then NZ Fire Service (it's now rebranded as Fire And Emergency NZ), before I was even an electrical worker and to be honest, I didn't really like heights that I used to experience with the Fire Service, especially up on turntable ladders and Snorkels and I mean, if you're stupid enough to not wear your fall harness on something that is 30m (90') in the air and it moves backwards and forwards as the water pressure is adjusted and get thrown off, you pretty much only have yourself to blame.

One hard-case thing I did see a couple of years ago, it was totally WRONG and a builder got prosecuted for it.
There was a supposedly 6kN tie-off point on a local building here, which is fine if you're on the the side of the parapet wall and need to use the eyelet to clip your lanyard to, this had a piece of 17mm plywood on the outer side of the parapet wall, I thought this was for some sort of decoration.
On the other side of the wall, there was another piece of plywood, I grabbed the eyelet and the plywood on the inside of the wall disintegrated, having not been sealed or painted at all, allowing me to pull the whole thing out.
Now, I'm pretty sure I cannot generate 6 tonnes of lateral force with one arm, hence this was investigated and the builder was found to have done the job wrong.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard