ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#219519 08/21/18 07:14 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
so i get a call , greenhouse job , wired a vaportight light, gfci outlet , pretty much spent a good 2 hours before it dawned on me.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 08/21/18 07:14 PM. Reason: add link
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
I saw nothing ... nothing. wink

Greg Fretwell
It may be for medicinal purposes.....
Or, 'grow your own'

John
S
sparky Offline OP
I guess i didn't get the memo, it's all legal here now , maybe i should read a newspaper now/then?

In fact they've these 'distributor' licenses for folks looking to grow and sell , i'm not sure how it all works (and maybe i don't need to know) , but it appears the local sparks in the 'people's republic of canibus' may be wiring grow rooms ,due to the recent legislation creating this niche market boom

I suppose i'll just do my job, VA per sq ft? art 220 ? , but boy how things have changed

what next? brothels?

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 08/23/18 06:42 AM.
G
Ummmm

I'm not sure that I want to know why they would need extra electrical power in a brothel.
Anything other than general lighting sounds a bit pervy.

Ghost307
G
If these guys are serious growers 50-75VA per square foot might not be unreasonable. You best size the service based on what they think they really want.

Greg Fretwell
Back when hurricane Sandy hit, there was a neat appearing resi, uoscale, probably in the 1mil plus range that had the on grade level flodded out. Power was cut, like the rest of that town.

Turns out about 6 weeks after the locals were allowed back, a local cop noticed activity at that house, in the dark. Turned out the grade level (4 car garage; 2 wide, 2 deep, plus the 20’ deep balance was a ‘farm operation’ and not ‘grow your own’! 3 guys arrested, and the house was seized, and later found to have been in foreclosure.

Lighting was 36-400 watt metal halide fixtures, roughly 15KW. The lighting, and a front & rear doorway light were the only items on the 400/320 service.

Depends on the quantity of crop I guess.

John
S
sparky Offline OP
Iirc, the power usage alone used to get grow rooms busted

FF to today's having to pull a permit for it , and validating the VA

~S~

G
They are certainly power hogs because it is usually more than just lights. They also do humidity and temperature control along with a watering system and if it is hydroponic, quite a watering system. My buddy used to be a planning rep at IBM (designing computer rooms) and he has had some of his Colorado neighbors asking him to help them.

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by HotLine1

Lighting was 36-400 watt metal halide fixtures, roughly 15KW. The lighting, and a front & rear doorway light were the only items on the 400/320 service.

Surely that should say 400/230V, John? grin
Growing marijuana here in NZ is still illegal, but that doesn't stop people from doing it, it's just like moonshine stills in the South.
What used to crop (no pun intended) a lot of marijuana growers up here, before the power consumption was found to be excessive for the type of building (usually a rented house), was the complaints from neighbours about the noise from the air re-circulation fans, running 24/7 and being single-phase types, these can get really noisy.

I once did a "job" here for a guy that said all of his Metal--Halide lights went out all of a sudden because of a voltage surge, I was expecting to turn up to a house with external lighting.
The guy answered the door and he looked really cagey, scoped the driveway before he'd let me into the house.
Sure enough, he'd torn all the walls out of the three bedrooms and there were plants for Africa in there.\
I just said sorry I'm not doing this job and walked out and called the police before leaving the premises.

Personally I don't have a problem with marijuana, but when people build large grow-ops to deal in drugs for supply to who knows who, (could be kids, etc), that I have a problem with.
The person that grows a single plant for their own use, fair enough.

Last edited by Trumpy; 08/26/18 12:00 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard