ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#219411 06/21/18 11:35 AM
G
I assume 334.80 also refers to fire caulk but the question arose the other day how do you get about 15 romex cables out of a panel through a fire rated ceiling? How far apart do they need to be to be separated and does anyone make a spider type of device to maintain this separation without compromising the fire rating of the ceiling.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Greg:

Resi solution usually is multiple holes in top plate, 2 cables each, caulked. Spacing from top of panel to plate is maintained either by 'stackers', or 2x4 on flat with NM stapled as required.

John
G
The problem is there is no "top plate". This is metal framing and the drywall crew had the fire cap in before they did the metal frame (partition wall) so they just poked a big hole and pulled the wire down when they put in that sheet. To do what you suggest will probably involve cutting a 8-10" slot on the Fire X and making that whole thing caulk. I imagine they will screw in a 1.5" strip of wood for setback and zip tie the cables to it. My guess is that is what they will do but I was just looking for other ideas people have seen. I also have no idea how the inspector will rule since this is a brand new building department and I am not sure where the inspector came from. I am sure he will be on a provisional license. I am just a spectator on this project. wink

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

I’m confused now; there’s no top plate on the metal stud wall? Is the ‘rock used to maintain the 16” o/c or ?? Is the ‘fire cap’ the rated sheetrock ceiling?

John
G
There is a metal frame "top plate" if you can call it that but I think of a top plate as being the doubled 2x that is load bearing.
The subsequent trades will cut that metal frame away in a heart beat if it gets in their way, depending on the metal over the stud bays on either side to hold the studs. They might leave an inch or two next to the studs in the bay they are working in to hold the doubled 1x2 they strap the wires to.
Of course that is only if they are being polite. We have already had to get the metal framer back to fix the mess the plumbers and HVAC guys made of his walls and ceiling on the 2d floor where the ceiling is framed down from the concrete deck above. The fire cap on the 3d floor is fastened to the roof trusses so the rough wiring (HVAC, plumbing stacks, sprinklers etc) was in there before the walls were framed. In fact some of the electrical is going to have to be pulled up and back down to get it inside the wall cavities because the rockers just guessed where it was supposed to come down, poked a hole and pushed it through as they were hanging the rock. For some reason nobody seemed to look at the chalk marks on the floor.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard