ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#218354 03/26/17 12:22 PM
My competition is starving me out. He's taken my top four contractors and I can't survive on $300 per week net. Yes, this is the same guy that I mentioned in my first inspector thread, the one with dubious approvals. My only plan now is to try to out live him, but that isn't a good business plan. Any ideas?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Virgil:

Wow! Based on how things are done here, your area system of the contractors picking the person/company to do the "inspection" would put someone in the Graybar Hotel!!

I guess I'm only used to how it's done here. Inspectors are State Lic., work for a municipality, or State. Inspections are scheduled by the municipal/state office.

Heck, I wonder how many contractors would pick me; if they could??

BTW, inspectors are becoming scarce up here, the 'help wanted' ads indicate.

John
Administrator
Where I am on Long Island the Contractor can choose from a number of Inspection Agencies.

Google: Suffolk County Electrical Inspectors

Bill

Bill:
So you're saying that there are no inspectors that are employed by any of the local municipalities?

Yes, I'm in the 5th largest twp. in the state, and yes, NJ has towns that have very few residents. Each town has a "Building Dept.", be it a part of other municipal office, or free standing with a large dedicated staff. There is a Construction Official, Electrical, Plumbing, Fire, and Building Subcodes, and inspectors in each discipline. In small towns, all of the 'titles' may be only one or two employees.

Yes, there are a few 'Inspection Agencies" here in NJ, they are referred to as 'Third Party Agencies', and are the 'regular' staff in some towns, or contracted by towns when there are no municipal inspectors for whatever reasons. (Think about that; only cost to the town is the contractual fees; no benefits, vehicle expenses, etc.)

John
Administrator
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Bill:
So you're saying that there are no inspectors that are employed by any of the local municipalities?

John,

I think Building Inspectors are on the payroll, but not Electrical Inspectors. One of the Electrical inspection agencies was associated with Garden State Electrical Inspection.

A quick Google search seems to show PA has a similar arrangement as here.

Link >> 3rd Party Electrical Inspection

Bill

OK, Garden State Inspections, Middle Dept., and EIC are a few of the agencies that I remember. We had EIC for Plumbing when the "perfect storm" hit the Twp. Plumbing guys; One FT was leaving for another Twp; one P/T just vanished abruptly; and our Plumbing Subcode Official (Chief Insp) passed away suddenly over the Easter weekend. Monday AM, no plumbing guys, so by Wed. the EIC guys were contracted.

We have been back to all Twp employees for quite some time now. The logistics of the fees, paperwork, and scheduling were tough. They (EIC) also had to remain available to complete any/all permit apps that they issued and received the fee percentage for.

John
G
Back during the boom here in 2003-6 the county had contractors out there picking up the overflow. That whole thing went away in the crash and I have not heard it start back up again but it may have. I am away from that these days.

Greg Fretwell
Bill, thanks for the PDF. I may very well call all of these folks up to see if they are hiring.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
The irony is, in this market, the more lenient you are, the more money you make. Be too stringent, and you are out of business. The PoCo just wants a patsy to take the heat if things go wrong.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
John,
Is it scarce enough to offer sign up bonuses? I need "moving capital".
Is NJ reciprocal with WV? I am IAEI certified.
What is the entry level salary offered?

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard