ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
With the required outlets for each car opening, is another outlet still required? And the best I can understand, it does not require that the outlets for the car openings to be on separate dedicated circuits.
Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Also another question concerning this project I am speaking of. I'll just have a 12/3 circuit feeding it. The code says I must have a disconnecting means for it and it can be a toggle switch for this application. What I don't understand is that in 225.39 A, it says that " For installations consisting of not more than two 2-wire branch circuits,the feeder or branch-circuit disconnecting means shall have a rating of not less than 30 amperes. I was thinking of using a DP Switch for the disconnecting means. Why would it have to be rated 30 amps if the main breaker feeding it is only 20 amps. I must be missing something unless a multi-circuit is considered 1 circuit.
Thanks again..

I'm sorry for not including,this is a de-tached garage

Last edited by sparkync; 02/21/17 09:41 PM.
S
Well, I still would like the info above, but I think I can install a 2 circuit 30 amp Square D QO panel, for just about $6 or $7 dollars more and I know that would meet the requirements. Thanks

G
In the garage I read that you need one receptacle per car "space" 210.52(G)(1) (2 car garage, 2 receptacles)and the circuit serving the garage "shall not supply outlets outside of the garage". It sounds like you can pick up the GDO and light.

As for the disco, I think a little 2/4 disconnect on a 30a multiwire feeder will give you plenty of breathing room.

OTOH a single multiwire circuit is one circuit so (A) applies if you just want a 2 pole switch per 225.33(B)

Greg Fretwell
The understanding I have is like Greg said; one receptacle for each car space, 120/20 and exclusive (dedicated) to the garage. GDO and lighting within the garage can be on this circuit, IMHO.

Now, the OP is running a MWBC to the garage as I read; I can't 'see' where he came upon a requirement for a 'switch or disco'?? MWBC on a 2 pole CB at the source solve this.

He mentioned that a individual circuit is not required for each outlet, which is correct, although it may be a good design option (upsell) as commentary in the '14 changes seem to lean toward EV chargers, although in the 'real world' 120/20 is insufficient.

This was a 'tough' change when we put the '14 into effect; but the ECs that work for the builders caught on quickly.

John
G
Notice the wording is changed to "vehicle" space so now I can park my truck in the garage and have a receptacle to serve it. I don't think the circuit serving the "vehicle spaces" can serve the GDO. IMHO

George Little
G
The 14 says this
210.52(G)(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached garage with electric power. The branch circuit supplying this receptacle(s) shall not supply outlets outside of the garage. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for each car space.

I see nothing that says how many circuits are required to serve these other than that the "vehicle/car" space receptacles are on a circuit that does not supply outlets "outside the garage".
I see nothing there that says it can't supply the GDO from the circuit supplying the vehicle spaces, although a strict reading may prevent you from picking up a jelly jar outside the door.
I also do not see anything saying the vehicle space receptacle actually needs to be adjacent to or in the vehicle space. There is also nothing about the accessibility of these receptacles.
I can see an installer putting a duplex on the back wall and saying the bottom receptacle is for space A and the top one is for space B. He might even put a quad in the ceiling and say he has one extra after the GDO is plugged in.

As Scalia used to say, the law is what it says.

Greg Fretwell
I have to agree with what Greg states, and what I said earlier on. I see no specifics within the '14 regarding this, however I have not seen the '17 version as of yet.

So far, no one has done the single duplex on the back wall, nor the quad on the ceiling! Hopefully, none of the guys around here read Greg's comments. (LOL)

John
G
The most common implementation here is a panel in the garage, installed as soon as the garage is dried in with a single GFCI receptacle that becomes the temporary service and construction power, maybe also serving the house coming out of the ground next door too. Then once they start the electrical rough, a ceiling GDO outlet, lights etc get put in. Some years ago it would come off of a general lighting circuit and a bit later (08?) with a GFCI receptacle once they eliminated the exception for receptacles you couldn't reach. The accessibility requirement (11?) has probably changed that practice again. I think the garage is one place where the cycle is easiest to detect since things keep changing.
I suspect this latest requirement will get you another receptacle on the opposite wall from the panel (in a 2 car) and all of it will come off the load side of the existing GFCI.
Throw the Laundry hookups in there and you get another 20a circuit so there should not be a shortage of places for people to plug things in. This 14 change does seem to eliminate poking a hole in the wall and putting the outside receptacle on the "garage" circuit. Then you have that jelly jar. Is that part of the garage? How about an outside light over the overhead door?

We are still on the 11 so this is new for us.

Greg Fretwell
S
There's code, and then there's good practice. One receptacle per bay is AWFUL to live with. Do the homeowners a favor and give them a 120V receptacle every 6' or so the whole way around the garage. You can never have too many receptacles!

Better still, also put in a 240V 30A in every space for the inevitable car chargers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard