ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
My boat dock/pier lights, etc. job passed inspection first time:)
Got another project I'm bidding on. Old nursing home that has part of it that was never put on the standby generator system. They want to come off the existing ATS Life Safety Panel to feed an existing panel that is approx. 200 ft. away in another "wing" of the home. The panel that they want to feed, has only 4 single pole breakers that supply lights over beds, recpts. that are at the beds, and 1 30 amp. double pole breaker that I'm not sure what it feeds. Other than the correct wire size, pipe size, grounding, etc., can anyone think of anything else I might be missing? One problem I think I see might not be right, is that the circuits that are feeding the room lights, are sharing a conduit that feeds a room air conditioner out of another panel that won't be on the life safety panel after it is changed over. This is in each room. There are about 8 rooms that are involved. According to what I read that is definitely not acceptable. In order to accomplish what they want, the a/c's will have to be put on the same panel, or either the a/c's or room lights and recpts. will have to be run in separate conduits. Am I missing something? If I have to put the a/c's in the same panel, that will involve figuring the load of all combined a/c's and lights etc., bigger subpanel, which is now fed out of a traugh that is probably 30 years old, probably bigger feeder, and possibly bigger main panel. Looks like quiet an undertaking.
Thanks if you can understand anything I said frown

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

sparkync:

First, IMHO, talk to the local AHJ.

Defining a 'Life Safety' panel, and the associated circuits and wiring methods is not as clear cut as you may think in an existing structure.

Connecting an existing panel to the gen, IMHO would be acceptable, as it is providing standby power to an unprotected area.

Now, are the existing receptacles that are on the gen, identified as such (red device or cover). You should consider ID on the circuits that are involved. Presenting some 'improvements' to the AHJ sure can't hurt.

John
G
The only loads that are allowed on a life-safety system are life-safety loads.
I constantly run into folks who want to tap the life-safety panel for copiers, cameras and other stuff.

The intent is to minimize the chance that a fault in a card reader could take out the egress lighting.

Ghost307
ghost307:

I agree with what you said above.

However, the key word in the OP in my opinion is "Old", and IF it is a true LS system. The first step should be to have a discussion with the local AHJ.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard