ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
I upgraded this Toshiba Satellite L500 laptop quite early on and suffered problems which were partly my lack of understanding but also program shortcomings; there was no DVD driver available and the machine ran hot as two examples.
However there have been extensive updates since and all problems that bothered me seem to have been resolved with no intervention on my part. It seems to me that Microsoft decided to do their development testing in the field.
I've recently upgraded another similar machine with no problems observed.

G
Microsoft has always done all of their testing in the field.
That is why a version isn't stable until they are a year or two in.
XP finally settled down at SP3, then they dumped it.

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
What format are these in that you can't move them?
Can you resample them and load in MP3?
I guess I am happy that I only use MP3s

Greg,
Yeah, I really wish I'd had the choice back then, all of the files in question use the .wma format, because that is what the "local" on-line music service at the time used to give you, these files also have a DRM licence with them, so if you try and move the files to another drive, nothing will play, even if you try moving the licences with the files.
It's the same when you rip song files from a CD to your HDD using WMP, it only has the option to save the files as a .wma file.
This service was taken off-line about 3 years ago and it no longer exists, which is handy when you've bought about 8-900 songs off of it.
Thankfully everything here these days is in MP3 format, without that DRM rubbish attached to it, I mean, if you buy something like that on-line and pay for it, I would have thought that you could store it wherever you liked, obviously I was wrong there.
I expect there is a way to convert these files to MP3 format, but how do you get around the inherent DRM thing?

T
twh Offline
A search of wma and drm comes up with SoundTaxi. The key words on the page are "convert WMA to MP3".

J

N
I fail to see where Windows 10 is a "upgrade", have it & hate it.

I have W7 on my laptop, and the laptop still hasn't downgraded to W10. One of my friends has recently (without her approval) automatically downloaded W10 and "couldn't do anything with it."

One major objection she had with it be that the start menu was difficult to use and navigate.

There's a fix for that with a free "Classic Shell" download that changes the start menu to a traditional Windows start menu.

http://www.howtogeek.com/223728/bring-the-windows-7-start-menu-to-windows-10-with-classic-shell/

The actual download is here> http://www.classicshell.net/

The download tries to sneak in some extra crap with it, but you can decline all the extras. smile

Trumpy Offline OP
Scott,
What you and others who do not want their computers to automatically do their own upgrade with no say in the matter is Google "GWX Control Panel", run it as administrator and from there it's pretty straight forward.

I'm still wondering how W10 did an 'auto' download into the 2 laptops in my home. One did it about two weeks ago, and this one did it last week.

For a fact I did not 'click' on the download screen that was popping up on every startup.

Guess I'll live with it for now. Don't see to much that is better.

John
T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by HotLine1
I'm still wondering how W10 did an 'auto' download into the 2 laptops in my home. One did it about two weeks ago, and this one did it last week.

For a fact I did not 'click' on the download screen that was popping up on every startup.
An IT guy told me that if you click on the "X" to close the pop-up, that means "upgrade". Only no means no.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard