ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 279 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
We have 4 heaters in a commercial building. These heaters draw about 4 amps and have 3' cord and plug, there is no provisions for it to be hard wired.

I would like to run emt above the heater to 4 square box. From out of that box I would like to drop SO cord, 3'-6' in lenght, with a strain relief connector (kellum style) at the 4 square and a SO cord receptacle at the other end to plug the heater in. Is this legal?

Last edited by Trick440; 10/31/15 03:25 PM.

Shake n Bake
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

To determine if it is compliant will rest in the hands of your local AHJ.

IMHO, based on what you stated, I would be OK.

A 'way around' the objections of some AHJs may be to install a single receptacle in the 4 Sq, and put a male cap on your cord w/strain relief.

If you think about what you describe...your 'scope' could only be the receptacles above the heater locations, with the client providing a 'short' extension cord to plug in the heaters.

John
T
Hrm, I would of never guessed an extension cord. I get a bunch of residential rental home repair work that calls for removing of extension cord. This is typically a fridge or TV in the basement a tenant has ran an extension cord to and I need to add a receptacle for it.

This could be just because its a rental property.

Last edited by Trick440; 10/31/15 03:57 PM.

Shake n Bake
Cord for connections to equipment has been an unending debate.

The usual solution for 'cord drops' is a twistlock receptacle within a 4x4 box at the bar joists; a strain relief on the cord, and a suitable cord cap on the end of the cord. The equipment supply cord plugs in.

IMHO, the above is compliant.

John
Cat Servant
I have no issue with your plan, indeed, it's something I like, and have done several times. I have seen it work out very well in the most demanding environments.

Too bad it's against code.

The NEC requires pendant receptacles to be in a box with a threaded hub.

Idiocy, IMO. I think they MEANT to preclude the use of simple 4-square boxes, or it was an 'end run' to try to ban DIY extension cords. Yet, in the process, they banned the common cord cap.

I can't find the pic, but...
One guy tack welded a 1/2" pipe coupling to a 4-sq, used a strain relief cord connector and insisted it met the intent of the NEC.

I believe he originally had a 1/2" chase nipple thru the KO into the coupling, but had issues with the tightening.

John
G
Interesting question. What about a bell box with threaded entries? Those pendant cords, with twist lock plugs were pretty popular in fast food joints to serve equipment that they rolled around to clean under. I just never had a reason to see what was above the ceiling. (I was "data" in those days)

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Equipment that requires 'moving' for sanitation like fast food locations has been using:
Suitable box mounted face down in ceiling with a receptacle in the box, a cord cap w/strain relief with a female cap. The equipment is connected to the 'hanging' female cap.

There is the same setup in the pharma/HABA facilities here for sanitation and 'line swap' reasons.

John
G
I got the impression that our fire marshal was not allowing any "extension cords" when we were working in computer rooms. I know I had a customer with some cords made up with SO and Russell Stoll connectors on each end. They got tagged.
The customer ended up having to move the fixed in place receptacles whenever they moved the equipment.

Greg Fretwell
That sounds like a FM with either an issue, or not understanding.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard