ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 225 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Yeah, I can understand cords still being fixed to tools. Also, I did include...

...and to disallow bundled cords.

...in the initial post.

Exactly how we'd go about ensuring adequate availability of cords with the lesser-used connectors (C9, C15A, C21), that's another question.

G
Originally Posted by geoff in UK
Greg
"We were in a hotel room and I cooked hot dogs in an empty beer can by filling it with boiling water a couple times."

Were the local restaurants really so bad? Please let me know where you were so I can avoid it!

The problem was that I like a late night snack and my wife didn't want to go out.

Greg Fretwell
O
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I have to admit the 240v (2kw) kettles are impressive.
Evidently the Brits and their offspring down under are pretty impatient when it comes to their tea.
The delta on a liter of water is over 50 degrees a minute.
You can boil it in about 2 and a half minutes from room temp water.
It goes a lot faster if you only make a cup or two at a time.

We even have 3 kW kettles that will boil 1 cup of water.

http://direct.asda.com/George-Home-3kW-Fast-Boil-Kettle-With-1-Cup-Boil---Various-Colours/001585253,default,pd.html

Anyway, some things are better with detachable cords, and some better with fixed. I don't want detachable cords on table lamps or most other small appliances. I certainly don't want them on kitchen appliances where they could drop in the sink. I've already drowned the kettle base unit once too often where it held onto the kettle when I lifted it, then detached itself while over the sink.

Also, with few exceptions, we're only allowed hard-wired appliances in bathrooms (no sockets / receptables) so having detachable cords on washing machines, hairdryers etc would be awkward there.

A
Just a thought, from a manufacturers' viewpoint....

In the UK & Europe we commonly use the C13/C14 IEC connector for a power inlet on small appliances. I guess this is also true in the US ... but here is the rub, in the UK/Europe this connector will have 230V L-N on it, in the US it will have 120V L-N.

So what happens with a piece of European kit, in the US, that needs a 240V supply? If it continues to use the IEC lead then you could have a C13 sitting on the desktop with 240V on it & another with 120V on it.... a recipe for disaster I fear!

This is one of many concerns that is prevent us (an international manufacturer) from removing captive mains cords....

G
Computers have been using the C13/14 for decades, even before they had the "wide mouth" supplies that were not particular about the input power voltage and frequency. I could order a power cord for a machine with any of about a dozen different cord caps that would fit.
It was up to the installer/user to know what they were plugging in. We had big labels that simply said "100v" or "200v" to deal with the 2 nominal voltages. Even here in the US, lots of machine types could be ordered either way.
Typically everything in the computer room was 208/240v because we did not bring a neutral to the power panels.

Greg Fretwell
M
Keeping 120 volts was a mistake imo.

G
If you look at the scare tactics around the first electrical grid in the US, you wonder why it isn't 12v

Greg Fretwell
M
If you look at the scare tactics around the first electrical grid in the US, you wonder why it isn't 12v

Yahhh, but that was over 100 years ago. We could have gone with 240volts but just center grounded in residential.

G
Originally Posted by Meadow

Yahhh, but that was over 100 years ago. We could have gone with 240volts but just center grounded in residential.

Isn't that what we have?

Greg Fretwell
H

Isn't that what we have?

It's what I had in my American home. Worked just great. 3kW kettle, 2.5kW oil-filled electric radiators, pillar drill, grinder and another odd assortment of South African power tools.

People must be still wondering what lurked behind those blanked-off plates.

...and to keep on topic:- all of which had their own fixed cords.

Last edited by Hutch; 09/10/15 07:04 AM. Reason: Topic
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard