ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Potseal Offline OP
Finally, after acquiring this oscilloscope almost a year ago I managed to test it out the other day. Before firing it up I took the side panels off and carefully dusted off the internal components with an air hose. With safety glasses on I plugged it in, stood back and flipped the switch - all good. While it warmed up I read over the Philips manual I found online for a different model that is within the same time period (that's the best I could do).
Not sure how well calibrated this unit is but I decided to play around and see what it could do with a basic circuit. I put together a simple bridge rectifier circuit and applied about 5 VAC using a Variac. Placed the probe across L1 to ground and then across the capacitor and got predictable sine waves. Not going into business with this scope but it's a starting point. Here's some images:

With scope across L1 to ground:

[Linked Image from i60.tinypic.com]

Scope across cap:

[Linked Image from i58.tinypic.com]

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
Congrats on getting it up and running! It looks like you only have a half wave rectifier circuit going there, and either low capacitance or low resistance.
One rule of thumb for input filters is that your RC Time Constant should be around 10 times your input period. For 60Hz, we would divide 83(full wave) or 167(half wave) mS by the load resistance, to get the desired filter C in Farads. You could experiment with different calculated values and observe your ripple amplitude. Can you imagine what the output of your LM317 or LM350 circuit would look like with this as your input???
Joe

G
Back in the olden days we used an inductor and a capacitor for a filter. Then they just make the "bulk" voltage a bit higher than what they need and clip the ripple off with a voltage regulator.
Now days they use SMPS designs instead of the old transformer supply and ripple is not as big a problem because of the frequency.

Greg Fretwell
Potseal Offline OP
I appreciate the input.

Not sure where I'm headed with this new found hobby but I find it all very interesting. Recently I built a simple function generator circuit to play with. First time I ever used a 555 timer. As most of you likely know there is a lot of options for a homemade function generators. Not sure if I picked a good one. If anyone knows of circuit that is proven I would appreciate a link to the site or a diagram if possible. Thank-you.

Dwayne
J
The 555 timer and its follow-ons have got to be some of the most useful ICs ever invented. The 556 is a dual and the 558 is a quad. The TLC and 7555 are low power, CMOS versions of the same. You will learn a lot playing with them. 2 resistors and a cap, get you an astable multivibrator.(>50% duty cycle) Adding a diode gets you any duty cycle that you want. Feeding a variable voltage to the control voltage pin gives you basic PWM capability. I first used one to build a wiper delay for my Chevelle back in the 70s. I have 2 going into my B-17 now, to pulse 100CD LEDs as strobes, and to brighten and dim to appear like a rotating beacon.
There are actual function generator chips out there, but most have been discontinued. I remember that Harris and Exar had them. Digi-Key only shows a couple and they show zero stock.
I just showed a friend at work a circuit that spanned <2% to >99% duty cycle, while staying at roughly the same frequency. I did it by connecting the wiper of a linear, multi-turn pot to Pin 7, with each end going through low value fixed Rs to Pin 2,6 and V+. You use the fixed Rs because you really don't want to short your Discharge Pin 7 to V+ OR the Trigger(2) or Threshold(6) pins. Adding a plain small signal diode (1N400x, 1N914, 1N4148,...) Cathode to 2,6, Anode to 7, gets you the <50% duty cycle. If you were to substitute a linear, dual pot for the 2 fixed R's, it would be a frequency adjustment. If you then added a rotary switch to change capacitors between 2,6 and ground, you would have a range switch.
I attached a PDF that I generated to help fellow RC club members, strobe their LEDs.
Joe

Attached Images
Attached PDF document
STROBING LEDS.pdf (14.64 KB, 119 downloads)
G
Amazon sells a 555 on a card with all the parts, including 2 pots and a set of plug headers to select the RC networks for a free running square wave time base for a couple bucks.
1hz to 200kz

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

It is a lot easier than trying to assemble all of those parts on perf board. I doubt you could get them for the same money loose.

Greg Fretwell
J
That's a great deal Greg! "Estimated Delivery Date: Aug. 12 - 28 when you choose Standard at checkout." I just don't understand how any standard shipment will take that long. They must be building them to order in China and walking them to the container ship.
Here is MPJA's version.
http://www.mpja.com/Pulse-Generator-Board-Adjustable/productinfo/31070%20MI
Of course, these all should be called rectangular wave or pulse generators, and not square wave generators. You can always double the frequency and follow the output with a JK flip-flop like a CD4027 if you need square waves.
Joe

Potseal Offline OP
Thanks for the info. I will look into the amazon link.

Here's one function gen I found online and built:

[Linked Image from i60.tinypic.com]

Finally got everything working the other night on the Perf Board. A little accidental bump of one component and it all goes to hell so easily smile

Dwayne
G
That is exactly what buying stuff from China is like. Shipping is "free" but it takes 5 weeks. The ones I ordered came in faster but I just got lucky on the ship.

BTW this comes US mail locally. It is all part of that deal post offices have around the world. The receiving post office has to deliver the package free (or almost free) as long as the postage was paid in the sending country. Most countries whack their shippers pretty hard. China makes it almost free on their end. That is how they can offer free shipping, it is free for them.
I can often buy something (material and shipping), shipped from China and dropped off at the Long Beach post office, cheaper than a USPS package from Long Beach to here costs.

You just can't be in a hurry.

Greg Fretwell
Potseal Offline OP
Well, the hobby has continued to grow.

I sold the Philips Oscilloscope about a year ago after buying another old scope - Tektronix 465. I have played with it, time permitting, and I'm slowly understanding the basics. It appears that it still works quite well but I have yet to determine it's accuracy and have yet to understand all it's capabilities. I have a couple manuals and have been reading a great deal on the 'net. So much to learn, so little time...

Today, I may have added another Oscilloscope to the bench. I found a Rigol DS1054Z on eBay.ca up for auction. I've been looking at this model off and on for the past year but always considered it outside my budget (what budget?). When I seen a brand new DS1054Z up for auction it caught my attention since I don't recall ever seeing new Rigols up for auction on eBay. Made a few early bids and finally put a max bid on it and walked away. Went out to put gas in the van and when I got back I was astounded to find out that I got it for well under market value. Hmmm... Hopefully, it arrives in one piece smile

Last edited by Potseal; 12/24/17 11:58 PM.

Dwayne
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard