ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 384 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ironic that the "Sunshine State" is lite on solar??

John
G
The government subsidies dried up

Greg Fretwell
We average 2-3 solar permit apps a week.

The commercial jobs have almost died. I have one (1) in the last 9 months.

John
G
What is the subsidy there?

Florida just put a few bucks in the subsidy pot in January and it was gone in less than 2 hours.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Sorry to say, I have no clue. We just inspect.

John
S
I've seen some line side connections for Solar PV in residential 100 & 200 amp service panels ahead of the Main on the SE conductors. IMO it is sloppy and dangerous.
Typically you only have a short section of SE wiring that connects to the Main. Now you add additional un-fused SE conductors to that panel that workers/homeowners must be careful of. It would be safer to add a J-box between the meter and the main to splice the SE cable.

Now under the new rule 705.31 in 2014 you can run those un-fused SE conductors up to 10 feet in the building...which conflicts with 230.70(A)(1) which was to limit the length of un-fused SE conductors inside a building.

I think something should be written to prohibit those Line Side Connections inside a Panel...at least in the homeowner environment.

705.31 should be removed...IMO

G
I agree. I was surprised when John pointed it out to me. I thought we were trying to get away from excessive amounts of SE inside the house.
I smell solar contractors getting a short cut in the code to make their bids less. I guess I have to go look at the ROP and see where this came from.

Greg Fretwell
Guys:
I agree with you on the 'unprotected' tap from the service conductors to the solar AC disconnect, being a possible safety issue for those unfamiliar with solar grid tie.

Hence the 'both line & load sides of this disco may be HOT'

As to length, my inspector and I use the 'same' as service conductors practice. We are still '11 NEC.

FYI, I am not a 'lover' of the line tap; however I have to accept it IF it is compliant.

John
G
I understand that if it is code, we are stuck with it but the breaker on the load end of this solar tap is still a service disconnect. If this wire starts getting very long, you have to ask if the disconnects are grouped.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
If this wire starts getting very long, you have to ask if the disconnects are grouped.

Some AHJ's don't consider it a "Service Disconnect"...they consider it a "PV Disconnect" and therefore grouping is not required.

Placards denoting each other would be installed at both locations of equipment if not grouped.

I disagree and prefer grouping like you.

Last edited by shortcircuit; 01/20/15 06:43 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard