ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
The one I have doesn't seem to make any noise and the IR light is invisible (hence the stealth name)
It has a 12v DC jack on it and I run it off a wall wart when it is near the house. That eliminates the battery problem.
I agree it would be eating a bunch of AA cells if you used it a lot. I think a set of 8 lasts less than a week.

Greg Fretwell
W
wewire2 Offline OP
Sounds like it's going to work. I have an underground conduit
already in place so installing a receptacle will be easy. Well..I take that back. I install electrical for everyone else all day and for some reason when it comes to my house it's extra hard work. I did get an atta-boy from the wife recently for installing 5 double tube fluorescent strips in the attic. Went from a 100 watt bulb to daylight!!

T
It's possible to defeat the typical thief:

Wire in additional disconnecting means across critical circuits.

For me this means working on those busses that are fused under the hood.

I'm not going to publish my wiring diagram on the Web...

But any j-man can come up with odd fusing (from automobile circuits or such ) that no thief is going to be prepared for. It functions like a second set of keys.

And while he discovers he can't get the engine to start, he's on camera. (motion sensors and digital TV cams)

I've caught 'talent' eyeing my truck for aquisition while I'm on the road. One crew followed me through 20 right and left hand turns around a shopping complex. They didn't think that anything was unusual about my sense of direction -- or that they were hugging my bumper the entire way!

I had to lose them on the freeway. They needed to gas up. My tank was good for another 500 miles.

So, don't discount rapid 'shoppers' willing to depart with your machine while you're getting coffee at a 'walk-in.' This is where the trick extra disconnect totally frustrates a thief.

More generally, I take pains to park my machine inside an alarmed building... and my local area is quite dry. The need for cheap warehousing is why so many contractors locate out in the sticks. The additional driving time balances against rent and risk.

I've even seen contractors lining up for mini-warehouse spaces. These are alarmed every night and always gated. The local management is on site. Their big advantage is that you can back out of the rental with 30 days notice.

Losing your machine -- for a one-man shop -- is tantamount to bankruptcy. No insurance company is going to pay off against your lost supplies, tools, and business interuption at a practical premium. Failing contractors would break them if they tried.

Tesla
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard