ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trumpy Offline OP
Just wondered guys,
I'm on call for a big part of the Canterbury area, after 7pm tonight (our time).
Anything could happen, I just took over from my 2IC and he said it was non-stop madness in the dairy sheds he went out to over the last week.
Most of the calls could have been prevented with decent maintenance, but hey, if they've got the money to spend....

Don't get me wrong, I've been to really big breakdowns in past years, that no-one could have fore-seen.
I gave up on the callouts of the residential owner years ago when I was in business.
"Let's get an electrician here now (on Xmas Day) and then refuse to pay the bill when it comes in!" mad

At least most of the people I now deal with have some sort of empathy and sympathy to you being called out over what is supposed to be a period of REST.

So, I ask the question, are any of you folks waiting for the work phone to ring? smile

S
Being the only sparkie for 200 buildings, I'd say yup

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Trumpy Offline OP
Good on ya Jerry, good to see someone else flying the flag! grin

S
Not much by choice...
?=^P

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I was on call almost every Christmas for 30 years. I probably had about 5 actual calls.

One in particular was at Comsat in Germantown Md. When I asked why they were all working, they said "we don't bring the satellites down for the holidays".

Greg Fretwell
S
Vermont swells 2-3 times in population every school vaca , holiday, or good snow storm

Anyone who runs so much as a hot dog stand is on call here

~S~

From the AHJ side.....
Basically if & when my cell rings, it may be time to go.

Evenings, nites, weekends, holidays, etc.

The call can be twice in one nite, or quiet for weeks.....

Fires, structure damage from accidents, etc.

John
T
twh Offline
I'm always on call but I don't take new residential customers - especially after regular hours. If I'm going to work outside in -35 weather at night, it has to be for someone who cares enough about me to give me work at other times, too.

G
When I was "on call" I was "the" guy ... so 135 other guys could have a quiet Christmas.

Most of the time it was either dead quiet or something I could handle on the phone. Easy money.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:

I agree with you, a lot of situations I handle are via cell calls between First Responders and POCO guys and me.

Back in thedays of tools, all were comm, no resi, all were established accounts who paid their bills.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard