ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#21116 01/28/03 12:44 AM
N
Nick Offline OP
[Linked Image]The job thieves struck again last weekend. [Linked Image] Total lost:
2 Panasonic metal cutting saws
2 Milwaukee metal cutting saws
4 dewalt battery drills
1 small dewalt rotohammer
1 large DeWalt rotohamer
1 Milwaukee hole shooter
Various sockets and wrenches
One Journeyman wireman’s tools (all of them)
2 destroyed gang boxes.

And to think, I just last week sent back to the shop 2 pallet jacks, a ½” thru 4” hydraulic KO set, a full set up of tugging equipment and 1 tri vise .

While we are all at home watching the Supper Bowl they all go out and get to work. [Linked Image]

#21117 01/28/03 06:25 AM
I
Nick, can I ask how they got in the gang box, we got hit a couple of months ago and it looked like it was not much work.

Both of our boxes they broke the welds on the hinges, it turns out the hinges were just spot welded every 10" or so.

For what you pay for the box it seems a continuus weld would be better.
Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#21118 01/28/03 06:15 PM
S
Theft like this not only takes personal belongings but also attacks one's livelyhood and that is what angers me the most about it.
Does anyone have any stories of jobsite thieves getting caught?

#21119 01/28/03 07:00 PM
W
Does anyone have any stories of jobsite thieves getting caught?
I never have, it just seems to perpetuate itself, and they get bolder and bolder.
There is no feeling I know, after being ripped off of your personal tools that you use everyday to earn a living, that can make you feel like , yes, I have been violated, Its personal and it hurts.

WOC

#21120 01/28/03 08:02 PM
G
yep...i know what your saying...in the words of of our former pres. from arkansas, "i feel your pain". [Linked Image]....but, you know what?...the great thing is when you i.d. some of your "lost" tools on a big job, with multiple contractors, and you succeed in getting some of them back, not to mention the "perpetrator" getting kicked off the job, getting arrested, and his employer getting banned from the jobsite!......the feeling of justified revenge is sweet....... [Linked Image]....if i had my way, thieves would be shot on site, and the survivors would be hung with a piece of 14 ga. romex........................from their nutsack (scrotum?)

#21121 01/28/03 08:13 PM
T
Speaking of ID, I recall that it is best to engrave a personal identifier into your belongings (at home as well--TV, VCR, etc.) such as your initials and the last 4 of your Social Security number.

This makes for an almost fool-proof way of IDing your belongings when (hopefully) they are recovered.

I can't stand a thief!

#21122 01/28/03 08:32 PM
J
I've come to think of every lock I buy being part of the price we pay for crime; Just needing a lock means you're already a victim.
I try like hell to make my stuff less valuable to thieves. Here are some of the things I've done:
-As mentioned above, I ID my tools;
-I paint them a distinct, plain color. This not only marks them as mine, but makes them lose that shiny new "steal me" look, and makes them far less pawnable;
-If I had the balls, I'd paint them pink!;
-Many of my tools are of a different brand than what everyone else has (I'll never forget the guy who told me to get rid of my "junk" Starret and buy a Craftsman!); and,
-I have locks, etc., that are decent enough to require serious effort to defeat.
Last, but not least, I refuse to patronise flea markets, "tool stores" operating from the trunks of cars, and any situation where I have the slightest doubt as to the source of the items. I will not help a thief by providing him with a market!

#21123 01/28/03 10:51 PM
N
Nick Offline OP
Nick, can I ask how they got in the gang box,
There were two gang boxes both Knack. One "Forman style" (with the table for plans) one double door material style. They drilled out the locks on both. The Forman’s box opened right up for them. The material box wasn't so easy. After drilling the lock it still wouldn't open so they took a cutting torch and cut a hole just above the lock cutting through the mechanical linkage. After closer review the Forman box is ok except for the lock mechanism. The other can probably be patched up.
When cutting the hole in the material box they caught boxes inside on fire and used our fire extinguisher to put it out!
They also used there torch on the lock securing the storage container. They got about 3/4 the way through and gave up. Maybe they ran out of gas or something. Given the time and the right tools it doesn't matter what you use to lock your stuff up. If they want it, they will get it.
On a good note. The journeyman that lost his tools will get some help. Our local has a fund set up in conjunction with the local NECA chapter to replace up to $500.00 worth of tools that are on the tool list. It won't cover everything he had but it is a pretty good start.
It’s a sad state of affairs when we even have to start such a fund.

#21124 01/28/03 11:02 PM
Nick:
Sorry to hear your loss, along with everybody else that's been hit. They got two of our trucks the Wed Nite before Thanksgiving. One '00 van, broke pass door window & rear door window & broke the "guard" out of the door frame...net loss $2275 in ass't tools.
They went to the Ford F700 utility/bucket; blew out the drivers door window, found nothing; then they "tried" to get into the utility body. They didn't get in, but they did $2800.00 of damage to the compartment doors. BTW, the "take" from the van cab was the regular driver's prescription glasses that he forgot to take home Wed Nite; no our insurance co does not cover "personal" items, including the employees hand tools.

As to the engraving thing; ALL our tools are marked either "HLEC" or "Lic 8209". The local cop said "fat chance of getting anything back" to which I agreed.

John

John
#21125 01/29/03 11:09 AM
W
Two years ago my service truck was stolen out of my driveway. Tore it up and cleaned it out. $8000 damage to the truck and
$25,000 in lost tools. Still recovering and now I'm paranoid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard