ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 386 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Geoff, you're right on many points.

First off, about checks: US readers will not know that the 'rules' for checks are quite different in the UK than here. In the UK, it's almost impossible to 'bounce' a check. Checks often circulate between businesses as if they were cash. A post-dated check is a common way to pay, and that check will circulate between businesses until the due date, when it will be presented -by anyone- to the bank for payment.

It's not like that at all in the USA. That the UK is moving away from checks is interesting.

Here, the taxman also frowns upon cash. Not only is the business at a much greater risk of an audit when it takes in a lot of cash business- it's almost impossible for the customer to 'write off' expenses unless there is some manner of paper proof.

G
Cash is really only important for homeowners paying trades for side jobs.
I do have some experience with that tho ;-)

Greg Fretwell
Checks are a common payment method in France- but if you write a 'rubber' one, [ or overdraw on your card ], the bank will close your account and blacklist you with all the others. Thank goodness for my Amex, which is billed to my UK bank!

Wood work but can't!
G
In the US bouncing checks and overdrawing your cards is a profit center (interest at 29.99% plus a fee). It is expensive to be broke here but if you have money, banking is free.

That was not lost on me many years ago and I consider what ever the minimum balance to get free banking as "zero" and go up from there.
They don't pay squat for the money they are holding but not having that money with them is very expensive.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard