ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Mike Holt has the first (1899) NEC available on his site as a .pdf file

It's all of 41 pages smile

http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/nec/NCSE1899.pdf

NickD Offline OP
1899 was NEC #2. 1897 was the "first", as you will find stated in many NEC versions. There was ALSO one "pre-NEC" version in 1895 written by the NBFU, but it wasn't called the the NEC until the 1897 "first" version.

NickD Offline OP
Originally Posted by wa2ise
What is the oldest code book ever written in the USA, or elsewhere?

Electricity was not widely used enough before the 1890s to warrant any kind of interest in making a standard. Unless you were wealthy (think mansion+estate) or a special company or an experimenter/scientist, electricity was an alien thing to you. For many, it was in the category of "black magic" and "witchcraft"... however archaic that may seem.

You may recount descriptions of Edison's "displays" in the 1880's. He strung up a handful of dim, hot lightbulbs around the boardinghouse and it was a public spectacle that literally drew CROWDS. That's just how unknown electricity was in those times.

H
Nick,

I know of some plumbing inspectors around here who still call electricity "Black Magic". smile

NickD Offline OP
Crazy! smile

To elaborate more on the old days... performing magicians and other "mystic" stage acts often made use of very simple electrical apparatus to achieve effects that made numerous audience members faint from shock and surprise. Static electricity and electromagnetism were usually the main players in these stage tricks.

Originally Posted by gfretwell
That was the one page code written by the New York board of fire underwriters. Joe T used to send people a copy on faux parchment "certificate" paper.
I may still have one around here.
Yup, dated 1881...

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/NFPA/1881nec.pdf

Bill

H
Bill,

I still have my copy of Joe T's 1 page NEC. He also wanted to buy my old NEC's when he found out that I had them.

M
I have every CEC but I also have the first City of Victoria Electrical Bylaw from 1913.
It was written with the cooperation with the cities of Portland, Seattle and Vancouver.
The source documents were the NEC and the railroad act.
The first Canadian Code book was from 1927 and was mostly identicle to the NEC of the same period

mikesh:
Thanks for posting the above.
How many pages are in the '13 Bylaw?

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard