ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Tesla:
The jacket was silver colored. It used to flake off when you touched or worked with it in a panel change, or service upgrade.

John
It's a shame I didn't grab one of the nicer pieces of wire from a crawl space we just did down in OCNJ post-Sandy, it was still reasonably intact enough to read the jacket and fur the description.

Whenever it gets wet it falls right apart, no t-strippers needed!

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
T
John...

I was referring directly to the conductor itself being tinned/silvered -- not the insulation or sheathing jacket.

========

It's not enough that they know how to fly a plane...

The question is, "Did they have fish for diner?"

Last edited by Tesla; 02/14/13 11:13 PM.

Tesla
G
I have seen tinned wire Romex but it was real old stuff. Maybe from the solder pot days.

Greg Fretwell
H
Boy, I used to work with a lot of that old stuff around here. The towns I worked in were 100-200 years old. There was a lot of K&T, old RX, old BX, etc. I even sent some photos of some of the old crow foot boxes, rosettes, etc. They are posted over in the nostalgia picture forum.

I think that is type NM cable. It has TW inside. Late 50's early 60's I think it had no ground. Then mid to late 60's it had a #16 ground. I have worked in some places that were wired with both and they just put the ground in the back of the box, because some had grounds and some didn't.

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
The house I grew up in had the kinda green-silverish woven jacket over TW with a 16 ground.. It was Paranite Parasyn. The all silver kind was Anaconda Densheath or Hatfield Hatvenol if I remember right. For some reason I think Circle wire had a version as well.

H
Obsaleet,

Those ground wires tied to the back of the box were the worst thing to work with. If you didn't know how that was wired, you would loosen the nut on the inside of the box and then you were screwed, because you couldn't tighten it back up. Nor could you attach a new ground wire to it. I used to tell all me helpers, if you don't see the ground wire inside of the box, check for a bolt/nut on the bottom of the box. Then check for proper grounding of the box. More than likely, the box was properly grounded on the outside back of the box. Then we would have to use a ground clip to ground the new wire to the same box.

I cant remember where I saw it but apparently for the tinned conductor was used because of a chemical compound in the insulation that would react with copper. Sulfur comes to mind

T
Tinning is particularly desirable if you're intending to solder a connection.

Tinning is still seen on switchboard bussing.

You can still purchase silver plating in solution for direct application to hot spots on high power bussing. It's very pricy.

For absolute corrosion resistance gold is used.

The reason it's used as burial money is because it, alone, can take it for centuries without degradation.

Tesla
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard