ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
pg 66 of my 5th ed 1942 is an almost exact duplicate

i was apprenticed to two older electricians, both passed on now for some time, who taught me the'backhanding' technique

it was known that muscles contract when electrified, so testing for voltage with the back hand would have one's arm contract back at ones self, as opposed to moving forward into something live.

as one of these gents imparted to me " If you slap yourself, it's live!"

~S~

S
One of my favorite "old timer" tricks was driving a nail in HV cable to drain the sheided jacket by grounding out the nail. It don't work that well when the wrong circuit is shut off and the breaker that is being worked on is an auto reset type One of my instructors shared that story and to add insult to injury, they were in an underground vault... I still gringe then chuckle

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
H
When I was a burglar alarm installer, my central office (CO) had a type of alarm system which used 130 volt DC. The CO would send out 130 VDC and it would run through the BA system and the CO would be able to tell if the negative side or the positive side of the alarm was broken. Anyway, when we got to the job site, we would have to get the telco guys to find our "BA" line. One day this guy was looking for our BA line by touching his tongue with a piece of wire and touching the telco terminals. We tried to warn him several times by reminding him that it was a BA line. When he found it, he let out a very loud scream and asked us what was on that line. That was when my partner told him that it was 130 VDC. He never looked for a BA line again that way.

G
A ringing phone line will light you up too (~100v @ 20 hz) I am surprised he would do that.

Greg Fretwell
The old timer I worked for in 1974 did that.. laugh laugh

S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
A ringing phone line will light you up too (~100v @ 20 hz) I am surprised he would do that.

i found that out the hard way ..... blush

~S~

H
Sparky,

Me too. I was hooking up some phone lines in my house dozen years ago when my wife decided to call home to see how I was doing. After getting zapped, hitting my head and hand trying to back away from the power, I answered the phone. Needless to say, it wasn't a good conversation. She has the knack to call me in the most inopportune times.

G
Apparently getting your ears between the uninsulated overhead phone lines commonly used here some years ago could be particulary uncomfortable.

T
twh Offline
Now that you mention telephones, a psychic dog can tell when a phone is going to ring.

(Blue links don't stand out very well on a blue background)

Last edited by twh; 02/17/13 07:01 PM.
S
I have my Dad's 1953 NEC and couldn't find anything on this, but I do remember for checking spark on 60's vintage cars by pulling the wires off while the engine was running. I got knocked on my can once working on a school bus motor trying something similar!
Greg

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard