ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 212 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
The P&S TR outlets I used in my daughters old preschool were all commercial grade, but they seemed to be the easiest to insert a cordcap into of anything I've come across. I tried a couple Levitons before from the Depot. (decora and resi duplex) and had a helluva time getting anything into them.. I finally grabbed a NIB Hubbell cordcap and slammed it through. Half the shutters stayed open.. dunno The yoke on anything resi is pretty flimsy IMO.. I've used a couple Cooper TR GFIs (Bought a 3 pack) one didn't want to reset from the start, one was hard to get anything in the lower recept and the other one worked fine... I've yet to try a Hubbell/Bryant TR..

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
I agree the NFPA should put the NEC on a 5 year cycle it would give more time for new products & procedures to " sink in" . Between TR & AFCI's it just raises prices on the customers making it harder to get more jobs.

Cat Servant
Now there's a thought ... maybe I should propose a new, very first sentance to the NEC:

Proposal: That the first sentence of the NEC will read: A product SHALL be available on the consumer (retail) market for at least ten years before proposals are accepted mandating the use of that product under the NEC."

Second sentence: At no point will any part of this code be construed to require the use of any proprietary or patent-protected product.

"FPN: The purpose of this restriction is to prevent manufacturers from using "safety" as a means for manipulating the code into requiring the use of their products. Products should have been proven in the field, and accepted by the free market, prior to using the heavy hand of code enforcement to require their use.

These things seem to be hit and miss, no matter what brand I'm stuck installing and then testing. Any of the residential models will sometimes bend back on first use/test and sometimes snap the plate right off (which is fun when you used all the plates already!), while some it's like they're not even TR. I do like Greg's idea of carrying around a cord cap or tester to break them in before installing them though!

I bought some spec. grade Levitons to install in my parents' house here once I get the circuits mapped out and add GFCI's for the ungrounded circuits. Hopefully they're not hard to use or I will never hear the end of it.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
H
Reno,

I like your idea, I too feel that products should be out in the field long enough to prove their worthiness before requiring them.

Cat Servant
OK, I've been using these tamper-resisting devices for some time now. Most of my appliances are new, so their plugs ought to comply with the latest standards. Every device has been used several times, so it should be well 'broken in.'

Phooey!

A case in point: I relocated a portable fan the other day ... then later returned it to its' original location. The plug simply would not open the shutters of the receptacle where it had been before. Only after dozens of tries was I able to get it to work.

Heck, I've come closer to touching the plug prongs as i wrestle with the damn things than I ever did before they were made "safer."

I've had this happen a few other times. Trust me- there's no dirt, no environmental factors, no damaged plugs to blame.

I am seriously thinking of saying 'the hell with the code' and installing good, old-fashioned "normal" receptacles.

If it's in your own home, I say go for it John. The only TR outlets in my house are a P&S GFI/night light in my master bath and the Legrand "adorne" outlet I installed in the kitchen for S&G. No ones life has ended...

BTW Both of those devices seem to work fairly well. The GFI was a little difficult at the beginning but after a year of Kara slamming her hair dryer plug through the shutters they now open no problem. The Adorne outlet worked fairly easily from the start, but they're $$$$ I'm sure very few are going to pony up for.

Cat Servant
Randy, that's not going to be enough.

My devices were purchased, in quantity, from a "box" store. (Sad to say, but the local supply house does not carry devices in white!). They are Leviton brand.

If Leviton can't make these things right ... or, conversely, if appliance makers can't make plugs to sufficiently close tolerances ... IMO, the requirement needs to be removed from the NEC.

I know I shall be using every means at my disposal to fight this requirement- at both the local and national levels.

I hope this report of my experience will inspire others to add their voices to the cause. I'm sick & tired of fancy engineers' promises that just don't perform as promised- how dare they think they can rule the rest of us!

Gentlemen:
My wife has been complaining about the TR receptacles & GFIs in the kitchen and bath for about two years now.

Not an every day complaint,but enough times over the two years. I replaced two 20 amp GFIs with Leviton units and that seems to help. I replaced the bath GFI with a P&S 20 amp that I got as a 'sample'; that lasted one night only.

BTW,the kitchenis 'Almond' and all almond is not created equal.

I had a few instances doing inspections where I could not get a bug-eye tester into a GFI, and the Ideal Inspector would not plug-in either. Electrician tried; same results. He replaced it & all aws well.

IMHO, quality control may be an issue.

I'll add my voice to your cause Reno; these things are a PITA.

John
G
This is simply another case of manufactures on the CMPs ramming stuff into the code before they can actually deliver a reliable product.

Perhaps if someone like the CPSC would require that they recall all of the non-performing or obsoleted products at their cost, they would not be in such a hurry to get them in the code.
I would start with all of the obsolete AFCIs the public was forced to buy before they were perfected (as if they are perfect now).
These things should be optional until they work well enough to create a market.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard