ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#206997 09/10/12 02:07 PM
S
Anyone know the official company name of the "Union" cut in light boxes that have the metal "ears" at the back of the box that pull up to the sheet rock? I have found the site for "Allied Moulded Products" that has one identical but there's not any suppliers real close to my area who carries them as far as I know. The boxes that Lowes and Home Depot sells just don't get it with me. When mounting a bathroom wall mount fixture the flange sticks out from the edge of the fixture and the last one I done, I had to trim off the top, bottom, and sides to hide it from protruding out from the canopy of the fixture. Also cutting them in is not as easy as the ones using just the toggle at the back of the box. I can just use a 3 5/8 hole saw and the box goes right in. What type do you all use?? Thanks.. Steve

N
The big box store cut-in boxes are Carlon* & A POS IMHO,Allied Moulded is my choice just use a 3 5/8" holesaw & your done, not sure if the Union/Sylvania/Challenger boxes are still around, but T&B may have bought them......

*The "Romex" brand boxes seem to be Carlon clones or re branded for Southwire.

W
I did find the Allied round push-in boxes on Amazon.
One of the sites that has the boxes for sale is Ace Hardware.
You might try your local Ace Hardware or a search on Amazon for Allied Molded Fiberglass Old Work Outlet Box (H9338=ESK)

K
Union is Thomas & Betts. I believe the 3-1/2" round boxes with the metal ears are their #3080-9. I generally don't like phenolic boxes, but I've used these quite a bit over the years and find they actually work very well for some installations.
T&B Boxes

Link Copied to Clipboard