ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 462 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
ayrton Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
The problem is that GE does not seem to have a classified breaker that will work in your QO panel.

C/H sent me a message that they are still looking into it.

Thank you. I spoke to inspector this morning. He was appreciative of my situation. In his experience he said resi guys have simply just stopped running multi-wire branch circuits. In hindsight I would not have.
And asking him about the 'tester' he verified what someone hre had said. "they don't work" He told me had spent a couple hundred bucks for this Greenlee tester and it doesn't work. Unlike GFCI, the AFCI reads the sine wave. He told me to try the two pole but he thought it would give nuisance tripping. He also told me a couple stories about the nightmares these AFCI's cause. He even told me he has seen the metal staples cause tripping. Not because they penetrated th sheathing, but because the metal is affecting the sine-wave.
It is not a proven system as of yet, and IMO this is just another example of the manuf. having too much damn say in the codes.

My plan right now is to simply eliminate the second circuit. I'll just re-connect it after the inspction. And I will sleep soundly at night because I know everything was wired safely and grounded.

A
Just a couple of observations. The idea that multi-wire branch cct's are not being used very much is not true. It is still an economical way of dealing with two circuits fed from the panel that are located far enough away to warrant the savings or convienance of not installing two separate home runs. The split 15A receptacle is still popular because of the total wattage available versus 2 20A. The only reason the 20A became popular was the necessity to use GFCI protected receptacles near the sinks. As was noted in previous discussions on the board, you cannot protect a split receptacle using a common neutal with a GFCI breaker or plug.

My advise . . . do the job right. Only then will you sleep well because if there is ever a fire as a result of the bedroom circuit being impinged by a cord against a headboard etc you place yourself in a very sticky situation legally and morally. Abandon one of the wires on the 3 conductor in the attic JB, put the receptacles on one circuit and install a QO AFCI and be done with it. Obviously in order to do that you will need to not have put too many devices in the bedrooms. Most bedrooms you will get away with 5 receptacles and a light (although I don't like putting the light on the AFCI cct see below). The bedrooms are probably the lightest loading of anywhere so I wouldn't worry about your idea of keeping the circuit lightly loaded.

I don't buy the idea of a staple causing problems with AFCI unless it had damaged the conductors as it is not a complete loop or bonded in any way and therefore should not have any effect on the sine wave. What often wreaks havoc with AFCI's is arc producing loads including switches that are not making good contact, vaccuum cleaners, or wore out lamp bases etc. My understanding is that the AFCI is able to sense the distortion of the wave caused by these things and then trips.

As usual you will be getting opinions from Canadians as well as Americans. The codes are similar but not the same. My perspective is Canadian Electrical Code. Good luck, it is a pain when you find something like this after everything is finished.

How about a 2 circuit (or larger) GE Subpanel?

Seems like a quick solution IMHO, 2 pole in the existing panel with a compliant feed to a mini-panel, 2 pole GE AFCI....done.

John
A
Originally Posted by aspencade
Abandon one of the wires on the 3 conductor in the attic JB,

Sorry . . . should have read your 2nd floor JB not attic.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard