ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Anyone wired a house with a "Superior Wall Construction" system? They are like prefab type walls with access holes already supplied for wiring. Looks like they are made of concrete with a little bit of metal bands on the studs, according to what I could pull up on the web. I had a call today to give a price for wiring one. Thought at first it was a regular stick built house until I looked up the word "Superior Wall Construction". Is this addressed anywhere in the Code? I don't have my new code handy right now, but don't see it in the 2005 code. Kind of looks like the wiring through a metal stud system. Thanks

Superior Walls are typically used for basement walls on poured footings. They are precast concrete. Code related info is within whatever Building Code your locality uses.

They are used here, with the 'house' being stick built, or modular. If the basement is being finished, the exterior (concrete) walls are furred out (framed) with either wood or metal studing.

I have not seen any Superior walls used for anything other than basements, in place of block or poured in place walls.

John
S
John, I personally have not seen any either, but obviously this man who wants a price has already had one built. I pulled it up on the web, and seen some videos of whole house exterior walls being set by a crane with concrete walls. It says it only takes a few hours to have it set. I'm just wondering on how to bid this one. According to one video I seen, I will have to bore through the concrete wall just to feed from meter to inside panel. It shows a special way to install the inside panel though it says there may be other ways. I'll probably have to go out and look at the house before I can give him a price. He's suppose to email me the flor plan this afternoon, but that may not be enough.

H
John,

I thought that the Superior Walls did not have a footing to sit on. I was also told that since there was no footing, that you could have a footing ground.

Harold:
I'm not a building guy. I assumed that there was a footing.

I'll check with my building guys when we get a breath.

John
H
John,

I asked Susanne that question and she told me that a footing ground was not required for Superior walls foundations.

Link Copied to Clipboard