ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 392 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Originally Posted by George Little

What is SEU cable? My understanding is that a long time ago (back in Greg's Time) SE cable used to have an armor on it to prevent people from stealing electricity. It evolved to an un-armored cable hence: SEU (Service Entrance Unarmored)

George,

I was under the impression SEU is for "Service Entrance Unilateral" and SER is for "Service Entrance Round"

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
I thought the "U" meant 'underground.'

G
You guys are going to make me look it up and prove it, I can tell.

George Little
G
SEU
Service Entrance cable (Type SE, Style U) (Unarmored).

http://www.southwire.com/ordering/glossary.htm

The SEU in the olden days was similar to the old NM, just a little more tar in the paper/fiber wrapping and a thicker coat of the silver stuff.
It was the regular thing for services from the point where the drop connected to the gable end down to the meter, then on into the house. I didn't see many masts or any kind of protection on the cable in Md. Houses are generally 2 story there so the service point was up far enough without a mast.
In Florida the typical house is 1 story, slab on grade so they need a mast.

Greg Fretwell
George:
Perhaps I misunderstood your post above, but are you saying that you would not have any issues with SEU that is taped for its entire length?

I have two pics of SEU that has no outer sheath at all, leaving the neutral spiral exposed to the weather, along with the two (2) insulated hots. The insulation on the hots was/is exposed to the weather & sun, and the insulation designations are unreadable.

Yes the OP stated that the SEU is 'taped' full length in his situation.

This being the case, how could anyone determine the condition of the SEU?? Is the Alum neutral spiral deteriorated from exposure to rain, sun etc.?? Are the two insulated conductors deteriorated/damaged??

IMHO, SEU that has no sheath has reached the end of its service life, and should be replaced.

Can I as Electrical AHJ require replacement? I can advise the owner of an unsafe condition, and reccomend replacement by a Lic EC. I can also request that Fire Prevention pay them a visit, as an 'unsafe' condition could result in a rejection of the CCO Inspection/Approval. Or, as I said above, the utility does write this type of condition as a violation, and can and DO terminate electrical service for non compliance.

John
G
If the PoCo was OK with this,I doubt we would ever know unless they had a permit open that had us on site.

Greg Fretwell
Let's see if this link works; this is a pic of SEU at an apt building.

www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/gallery/24/full/380.jpg

John
G
John, I could approve a tapped SEU cable depending on the condition of the ungrounded conductors. If they showed evidence of damage, then no, I would not approve tapping as a repair. The problem I see is that water tends to travel inside the cable on into the equipment once the weather resistant outer jacket is violated by the sun and water can travel on into the equipment. There is normally no shock hazard.

I know, weak explanation but it boils down to a job by job decision.

George Little
George:

No that is not a weak explanation, it's a good one.

One job at a time!

John
G
They always had a drip loop before it went through the wall when I saw the SE runs in Md. It came out of the meter base, went several inches below the wall penetration and then looped back up.
It is not really a code requirement as far as I can tell but it was the trade practice.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard