ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Patrick:

From my days of tools I remember that packed with fixtures, there was a sleeve (6"-8") that was supposed to be installed on the supply conductors when the fixture was being mounted.

The sleeve was some type of woven materials and the instructions stated that it had to be installed on conductors <90 degree rated.

Then, how mant read and follow the instructions.

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

The 334.40 (B) refers to a device like Tyco makes. You should find it at the Tyco site. Similar to a large Wago.

Theory is to use that to splice NM to the existing conductors, shove it into the ceiling, install a new box & mount your fixture.

John
P
those manufacturer's also make fire alarm systems.

G
Tyco makes lots of stuff. They have acquired a lot of smaller companies. The original product (called Enerflex I think) was developed by AMP that sold out to Tyco.
There was a big stir about it because they were marketing it for any kind of new or old work. Then after some stink about it they said it was only for putting modular home sections together. Now it looks like Tyco is trying to say that is back to anywhere.

I was curious about it on the first go round and I had them send me some samples. I may still have them around here somewhere. This is an insulation displacement device, not a push in like the Wago. It is a bigger version of a 66 block or those blue clam shell things car stereo guys use. You don't strip the wire.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
I'll look for the PDF/PP I have tonite and see if I can put it up here.

Our code maven at DCA & a few of us inspectors went round & round with this a while back. I have not seen anyone use it here.

John
G
The only ones I have ever seen were the ones I got from AMP. It has just been a bone of contention all the way back to the late 20th century. We had a big discussion about it back when Harold was called "The Caper" (1995 or so). Joe Tedesco was the one who was most vehement about hating them. I have seen the same thing get fights started at IAEI meetings here.

It is just the idea of a flying NM splice buried in the wall that does it, in spite of the word "fished" in 334.40(B).

Greg Fretwell
T
How in heck does ANY gadget bleed off the high heat implied by a demand for 90º C tap wire?

The issue is: does the fixture back-feed HEAT up the line to the point that the Romex is cooking?

Romex is THHN wearing a sweater. That's why its internal conductors are so strongly de-rated.

Having played with ancient lighting taps, I can assure you that they turn to dust.

The thought of an insulation displacement connection = point of spot resistance = hot spot. Terrific. Just what the patient doesn't need.

Tesla
Try this link to a catalog page. Poke around the site & you may find PDF brochure & install info. I have it on a flash drive somewhere.

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1116377-2?RQPN=1116377-2

Last edited by HotLine1; 06/07/12 08:59 PM. Reason: add the link!

John
Greg:

1995 was not really that long ago!!!
NJEIA meetings were turning quite loud when I put the PDF, or PP for this up on the screen. "Old work"? Fished in??
Modular homes? Mobile homes? Some of the ECs that were members thought they hit the lottery!

I don't think they are cheap & haven't seen or heard of anyone around these parts use them. Then again, how would I know if one was in a wall?

Hope the link helps.

John
G

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard