ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Childrens safety outlets
by dsk - 06/25/22 04:07 PM
AC-DC stage Ultra-Fast charger, how it's made?
by libellis - 06/25/22 12:17 PM
Your favourite food?
by NORCAL - 06/16/22 12:06 AM
Price action trading with RENKO
by gfretwell - 06/15/22 02:08 PM
Please Help Wiring DCDC Buck Converter
by gfretwell - 06/15/22 01:58 PM
New in the Gallery:
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Now you know.
Now you know.
by Tom_Horne, September 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 171
Merlin Offline OP
Hello to all.

I am bidding on a building remodel that will be an event hall on the lower level and an apartment on the 2nd floor. My question is what type of wiring method may I use on the 2nd floor apartment? I understand how article 518.4(A) applies to the event area on the main level. But, article 518.4(B) states that NM cable is permitted in "non-rated" construction. How do I make the determination as to this rating, without going to the AHJ?

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,696
Likes: 11
I think the apartment is a dwelling area and needs to follow those rules. They are separate occupancies in my opinion.

But I am not the guy making the decision am I? smile

I would float your plan out there and see what comes from plan review.

Greg Fretwell
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,299
Likes: 6

"(B) Nonrated Construction. In addition to the wiring methods of 518.4(A), nonmetallic-sheathed cable, Type AC cable, electrical nonmetallic tubing, and rigid nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted to be installed in those buildings or portions thereof that are not required to be of fire-rated construction by the applicable building code.
FPN: Fire-rated construction is the fire-resistive classification used in building codes."

Fire rated construction ratings are determined from the Building Codes that are adopted in your state/area.

Are there any plans? The info you need should be on the cover page of the plans. You may be able to access the local building codes on your state/local websites.

IMHO, the apt floor/assembly ceiling component will be 'rated', probably 1 hr; possibly 2 hr., but this is only my guess.

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 171
Merlin Offline OP
Actually now that I re-read the plans, the information is given on the cover page. It states "1 hour fire barrier as required per table 508.3.3. However, A footnote states "We will be submitting an application for variance regarding the sprinkler system and seperation requirements due to the historical architecture of the existing building". So, I am not sure. Looks like I will be contacting the Engineer.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,299
Likes: 6
Sounds like a plan!! I suggest you get any info from the engineer in writing to CYA

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,429
LK Offline
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Sounds like a plan!! I suggest you get any info from the engineer in writing to CYA

Good advice, when it concerns an Event Hall, any changes that involve the fire codes need good documentation

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,273
ANY time you're involved in 'historical architecture' you're off the map....

You'll need to have your hand held by the AHJ and the plan-check crowd.

There will be serious issues WRT what is grandfathered or not.

My last project to be so involved became re-engineered on the fly almost to the final hour.

It's an altogether different experience.

Think of it as design/build/redesign/rebuild.... That's it!


Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Posts: 362
Joined: April 2003
Top Posters(30 Days)
triple 3
dsk 2
Trumpy 2
Popular Topics(Views)
292,954 Are you busy
224,974 Re: Forum
210,411 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5