ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
I have a 50kVA dry type transformer which had failed, with rating:

1. Input (LV, primary winding): 400V, 72.17A
2. Output (HV, secondary winding): 21.5kV, 1.34A

The failed area was found to be the HV winding, where short circuit of winding and sign of local overheating was observed . Calculations showed no overload to input or output.

What would have cause the overheating? probable cause of the failure?

G
Simple transformer insulation failure? It only takes one turn to short out and rapid overheating follows causing progressively more insulation failure.
Possible causes? Weak insulation since manufacture, moisture ingress, vibration, transient voltage surge, hotter than designed operating environment, - I'm sure there are more I can't just think of.

G
Is it getting plenty of air? These things, in confined space, can heat up quickly.

Greg Fretwell
100% agree with that Greg> I remember a plant where some employees used a 75KVA for a lunch warmer with help from some cardboard & welding screen curtains! A situation that could have become a njghtmare.

John
We had an old Westinghouse padmount 12kv pri 480V sec 1000kva that inadvertently was loaded up with >1600 hp in oil pumping units & steam genset pumps & blowers.. It ran this way for quite some time & wasn't discovered until we ran into some low voltage issues in a control room... The load was divided up with 2 banks of 167s added. The padmount still runs part of the field..

Link Copied to Clipboard