ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Wow, I guess just like with anything else it looks like you really have to shop around when buying those relays. I can’t believe the prices some places are asking for those new replacement RR7’s.
I’ve often wondered if maybe in a pinch for a temporary repair on a GE resi relay lighting panel, if you couldn’t use a standard 16-Amp 24-VDC latching relay and plug in base, assuming you could find room for it. I’m guessing the mA or VA rating for the DC coil is probably higher than the little RR7 though, so I suppose that might be an issue.

A
Albert Offline OP
KJay,

I haven't done a thorough search, but so far I haven't found any other relay (except the WattStopper HDR) that matches the GE in terms of load ratings, installation ease (no socket needed, just pop it into a KO), pilot-contact capability, and price.

In terms of ratings, the nice thing about the GE relay is that it is essentially the same as a toggle switch, so it can be used with pretty much any 20A load. The other relays I've looked at all fall short in one rating aspect or another, most often lacking a tungsten rating or having one that's significantly less than the full amp rating. That's important because the relay could be controlling a receptacle, which could have anything plugged into it.

H
Albert,

They look good, the worst thing I see is if you want to use them on an existing installation, you have to cut off the pin cap.

A
Albert Offline OP
Yes - and I think the GE relays all now come with that connector, too.

I have one of the GEs; the only markings on the connector are "AMP" and "85". It might be possible to find a mate in an electronics distributor catalog like Mouser or DigiKey. But it'sa n insulation-displacement connector, which means an expensive installation tool. Probably better to cut it off as you say, and maybe crimp on a few more inches of wire.

A
Albert Offline OP
Right now I'm working on a little project to run the GE relays off a PLC. It implements a few simple functions, like allowing the use maintained-contact switches (including photocontrols) or single pushbuttons in place of the system's standard double-throw switches. It will also allow master control of groups of relays, with override of individual circuits.

I haven't played with PLCs before, so the project has been a great learning experience - and a lot of fun. This is the PLC I'm using: Click PLC.

A
Albert Offline OP
The PLC project is coming along nicely. It lets the relays be controlled by 2-wire circuits in place of the original 3-wire design. Any combination of momentary and maintained-contact switches (including standard toggles) can be used - they all work together like a conventional 3/4-way installation; i.e. each time any of the switches is operated, the relay changes state. The momentary switches can be paralleled, but of course each maintained-contact switch needs its own PLC input.

The PLC program also implements a Master ON/OFF function, emulating the GE "sweeper" or its ancient ancestor, the "motor master" controller.

G
I am doing that with a half a D flip flop CMOS chip and an SSR.

Greg Fretwell
A
Albert Offline OP
Very interesting approach, I like it!

Yet another option: a member of the GE low-voltage Yahoo group implemented 2-wire operation using diodes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard