ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
I have found nothing that is either more convenient, or safer, for stripping ordinary wire than a utility knife. Not even the 'special' knives sold for the purpose.

The so-called "safety" version has a spring that retracts the blade as soon as you let go of the 'open' tab. Just what I need - another fine motor skill to exercise at the same time as I'l doing the actual cutting. The rounded points are neither 'safer' nor do they serve any purpose I can see.

This is just ignorance wrapped in management voodoo. The policy simply screams "this is hw little we think of you- and. kamerad, ve haf vays to make chu follow orders!"

This is true 'nose under the tent flap' stuff. Next they will seek ways to "go beyond mere OSHA rules," and pull all sorts of rabbits out from under their propeller-beenies. Thing like "use fall protection for ladders" and "wear PPE even when not working and standing in identified 'safe' zones."

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
J
Allclear - you are complaining about an employer that gives you a week off with pay because they are so effective at promoting safety there hasnt been any time off due to injury in 10 years? If there have been reported incidents of cuts with utility knives the employer is obligated to investigate and take some corrective actions, which they have done. They are the ones paying the fees to whatever workers compensation authority you have in your area so it sounds like they are a good employer and responding proactively to the incidents. If the alternatives to knives are not working effectively bring it up with the employer or safety captain and maybe the rule gets modified or maybe the employer accepts tasks take longer due to the new procedure.

Jay 8 It is a Customer that has this policy. Not the company that i work for.

So far nothing has changed. I use "Alternate" tools whenever possible, but when i have to use a knife i just make sure nobody is around to watch. If someone is standing over my shoulder i just say i have to get some tools to try and cut the jacket, and leave.

They have successfully turned me into someone who knowingly breaks rules.

It's Not The Fall That Kills You...
It's That Sudden Stop At The End
T
twh Offline
I think it has been proven that if you drive slower there are fewer accidents and they are less serious. We need to drive slower.

It's pretty clear that many sports shorten your life - like boxing, football, and hockey. We lose skiers every year. Children drown in swimming pools, and lots of people die in recreational boating accidents. These are all unnecessary activities. Yet, we keep dong them. We are all willing to take some risks. After all, living is dangerous.

My grandchildren use knives to eat. I'm guessing that whoever made up the rule about not having knives at work lets their children use knives.

If we don't control employers, some take stupid chances with their employees' lives. We need rules, but they must be reasonable. Somehow, we can't make and enforce reasonable rules.

M
I have used a Klien hawk billed knife for 18 years. T he original was double edged but now they are all single edged.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard