ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 404 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Originally Posted by ghost307
Did anyone else ever try the Saf-T-Brace?
It says on the box that it's made by Westinghouse but I've also heard that it's a product of Angelo.It's basically a box with a brace that wedges between the joists without having to gain access to the space above the box. It can be installed through the drywall cutout only.

Angelo Brothers (Abco) has licensed the Westinghouse name.....

Administrator
The SmartBox Fan Box is a good solution when you're up against the side of a Joist, and it can be installed without going in the attic:

[Linked Image from licensedelectrician.com]

It's a plastic box, - it doesn't show in the picture above, but it has a hefty metal bracket up the joist side and across the top:

http://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/SB/Images/SBFAN_Release.jpg

more info:
http://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/SmartBox-3.htm

Bill

G
I got a free one of those boxes from somewhere. It does look like a pretty good product. That ground screw goes into the bracket and that also gets you into the fan mounting screws which go all the way through. (the nuts in the picture)

Greg Fretwell
Administrator
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I got a free one of those boxes from somewhere. It does look like a pretty good product. That ground screw goes into the bracket and that also gets you into the fan mounting screws which go all the way through. (the nuts in the picture)
It is a sturdy box.

I used to do a lot of Fans back in the day, and used the expandable fan braces quite a bit. The installations that gave me the most trouble were where I was replacing a ceiling box that was mounted to the side of a joist. Sometimes you couldn't get the fan box close enough where a small Fan canopy would totally cover the original hole.

These boxes, being flat on one side, would have done the trick, and saved me a lot of greif.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard