ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Obsaleet #202944 09/02/11 01:39 PM
Cat Servant
Bear in mind that I did not doubt that the person who visited me was an actual government employee. IMO, he was simply exceeding his authority and outside his jurisdiction.

I also draw attention to the format of the ID, which seemed intended to encourage you to make assumptions as to what "DHS" stood for. That, alone, shows a certain amount of contempt towards the public by the agency.

Add to this the story about construction shutting down because the office was on vacation. Are we beginning to understand the scale of the problem?

Obsaleet #202950 09/02/11 02:43 PM
harold:

Twp Photo ID tag is all I need. Yes, I have inspection report forms in duolicate also. While we are on that aspect, how many 'items' do you write? Do you give a laundry/punch list??

Or, do you practice the 'three strikes and I'm out' theory? Three infractions, noted on 'red'; next line 'inspection stopped/incompleted' and leave!

John
Obsaleet #202952 09/02/11 03:00 PM
G
My forms had a "not ready" box and when they had a lot of issues that is what I used. We had a second form that was basically just a lined page. I wrote my notes and punch list on one of those. I would leave 2 copies (one for the trade and one for the project manager) and keep a copy but that was not submitted to the state.
Since most of my inspections required a long drive (some over 100 miles one way) I usually confirmed with the caller before I went. More than once, I got a "not ready" on the phone.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #202982 09/03/11 03:45 PM
S
Just got back from a ride out to a nieghbor town, fellow ems'er called me in to 'inspect water damaged residential electrical services'

well, the poco has this nifty form for me to fill out, apparently it promotes a sparky to ad hoc inspector

i've done individual assessments , but never saw one before this hurricane

all fine & well, but in the case of a commercial property, there is the further need for the fire marshal to make a visit on top of this

as i spent a good hour mitigating this goat trail they carved through the woods to get there, (there's more choppers than cars getting in at the moment) i'll assume he won't show soon

besides, they're all flat out right now

and these folks have been in the dark for almost a week

~S~

Obsaleet #203167 09/12/11 09:23 AM
H
John,

I know I should just do a 3 strikes and your out red sticker, but I sometimes write a punch list. This way when I come back, I know just what I was looking for.

Obsaleet #203172 09/12/11 10:04 AM
Harold:

I know where you're coming from on that method. I, on occasion go that route when time allows. I have to go thru the whole job, but...I do it to make a point to the EC that HE should have checked the job before he called for inspection.

John
Obsaleet #203608 10/12/11 10:47 PM
M
It seems to me you have to find the rules for "sole-propreitorship and a company" . I know as a sole prop in RI I don't need worker's comp if I am a sole prop or make anyone I work with an equal partner.

mikethebull #203613 10/13/11 05:40 AM
See,
This is why I'm glad we ditched the permit system over here in 1993, in favour of self-certification.
How this works is this, for most smaller jobs, you use a "Certificate Of Compliance", to buy these things, you must have a practicing licence as a qualified electrician and sign for either a single one or you can buy a "book" of 20 of them, from your supply house.

On the actual certificate, you state what work you have done, any pre-existing conditions, there is room for a simple drawing.
You must also sign the certificate, give your real name in block capitals and add your practicing licence #.
There is also a part of the page that requires you to write down things like test results, leaving that part blank, will open you up to all sorts of legal liability, if you can't be bothered testing your own work, before energising it.

The best thing about these certificates is, they are in triplicate, you give the top copy to the home-owner/building owner, the second copy to your own records and the third is sent off to the Electrical Workers Registration Board, if they ask you to send a certain sequence of COC's for auditing purposes, you need to keep that copy for a period of 5 years, after it was signed.

Usually,
In most cases, you're talking about an electrician, signing these certificates off.
It's really only where you go making wholesale changes to an installation (say moving the mains coming into the building or upgrading a service, pretty much where the MEN point is altered), that an electrical inspector here would be required to co-sign the COC.

Sure there are probably people out there "working under the radar", but at the end of the day, those that want to stay in business for any length of time, are going to be asked the question by a customer, where is my COC?
There has been a HUGE media campaign over here and I've been asked to show my practicing licence, even just to get in the door.

Sorry to take this thread off topic.

Obsaleet #203616 10/13/11 11:05 AM
Trumpy:

That is NOT off topic!

Thanks for the NZ input!!

John
Obsaleet #203617 10/13/11 01:44 PM
G
Mike, If the installer is also the inspector, who is the person who decides if the work was "not compliant", the firemen who sift through the ashes?

Greg Fretwell
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard