ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Obsaleet #202567 08/10/11 09:37 AM
H
John,

Technically (according to the DCA) HVAC system is not an "emergency" job. However if an EC calls the office and tells me that he is doing the job, I don't have a problem with that.
I would be happy just to have an EC sign the permit and cal for an inspection. smile

Obsaleet #202570 08/10/11 11:11 AM
Harold:

I was not aware that they had an 'approved list of emergency' items.

I have no issue with proceeding as outlined in my above post.

John
Obsaleet #202723 08/24/11 10:26 AM
H
John,

There was no "List" of emergencies, I was just told that from Suzanne. However if an older citizen who has health issues needs an AC right of way, I don't have a problem with that.

Obsaleet #202724 08/24/11 10:41 AM
IMHO, it's the AHJs decision as to what constitutes work performed under the 'emergency protocall'

John
Obsaleet #202725 08/24/11 12:16 PM
Cat Servant
Getting somewhat off track, do you know what this discussion is beginning to sound like to me? It's beginning to sound like a discussion about the income tax.

That is, permits and inspections can only work with the voluntary compliance of the public.

This concept in turn suggests that the process needs to have a LOT of flexibility- an interesting challenge, since the nature of bureaucracies is to not be flexible at all.

Obsaleet #202731 08/24/11 03:06 PM
Reno:

Good afternoon! Without getting into anything political, do you have any permit related woes??

John
Obsaleet #202735 08/24/11 05:46 PM
Cat Servant
Actually, No. Goes back to that 'willing compliance' thing.

I did have a government functionary drop by my home to inquire about my ongoing remodel, though. I must confess that my welcome did not reflect 'southern hospitality.'

You see, I have taken pains to work with the city, and have made damn sure everything is 'by the book,' and they are kept informed. More to the point, I know the city folks by now- and this gent sure wasn't amongst them.

A request for ID led to a comment about the rough day I was having - as well as the production of an out-of-state welfare department ID. (As an aside, did you realize that "DHS" can also stand for "Department of Human Services" as well as 'homeland security?' Look at the fine print!)

Now, this presented an interesting situation. You don't have to talk to these folks at all, but you sure can't lie to them- yet they can lie to you at will. At least, that's what my friend Martha Stewart tells me laugh. When his inquiry about the remodel got nowhere, he claimed to be concerned about a neighbor ..... later, he wanted to know when my place was last occupied. Gee, I wonder what he really was interested for? It's not often they cross state lines on 'fishing trips.'

For those who don't recall, the house is a $6000 forclosure that I bought, and is in the midst of a complete-gut remodel.

At this moment, in fact, I have nothing happening that requires a permit; I'm still in the 'demolition' phase. As I mentioned, I've been working quite closely with the AHJ. Yet, that simple fact did not prevent this gent from attempting to bluff his way onto property where he had no right to be, to search where he had no probable cause.

Maybe someone needs to have a chat with 'the guys down the hall' aboput how they're poisoning the well of public goodwill.

Last edited by renosteinke; 08/24/11 05:47 PM.
Obsaleet #202736 08/24/11 06:02 PM
G
Who was this guy from? Was he a building inspector, zoning, "code enforcement" (the "junk car in the yard" guys) or was he the tax man?

It is unclear from your post what he wanted.

On my remodel, I saw the various trade inspectors and the tax man but that was right on schedule. They look at everyone every 2 years.
Sometimes our code enforcement people use the life safety excuse to look over a place when they suspect a non-conforming occupancy.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #202740 08/24/11 10:40 PM
S
A particular problem in Vermont is, all rentals require permits

of course that sounds easy, but seeing as we are more 2nd homes than 1st, we really never know the owners intent

the state has, i've been told, actively monitoring the rental sections of local rags

~S~

renosteinke #202746 08/25/11 07:41 AM
S
Originally Posted by renosteinke

That is, permits and inspections can only work with the voluntary compliance of the public.

This concept in turn suggests that the process needs to have a LOT of flexibility- an interesting challenge, since the nature of bureaucracies is to not be flexible at all.

With VT rentals, yes Reno.

The challenge being, either it's zero (maybe zoning IF the particular township has it) , or everything the state has , fire marshal , electrical & plumbing inspectors

All they have to do is maintain that it's only a 2nd home

Now as a contractor, i'm apt to insist on the whole 9 yards , in case their 'ball game' changes, in order to protect myself.

Usually i'll mention how rough the ski bunny crowd can be , which they do party hard , and @ 3-4K a long weekend i guess you could say they've paid their way for it

I'll also mention landlord liability , and potential insurance woes one could asume renting to said animal house crowd

Lemme tell ya's , being a contractor is tough enough in this economy, using us as point men to open pandor's box places us in a position of situational ethics, which many a trunk slammer will make good on

and no, i'm not policing job sites for the state. (that's a rant i'll save for an appropriate thread)

IMHO, if the state 'dept of public safety' wants to pursue rentals, they can chum up with the state tax collection agency instead of trying to 'flex' the contractual community into it, and then all those out of state landloards, rental agencies, etc can pay the $$$ of retrofitting the life safety they're trying to get outta

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 08/25/11 07:42 AM. Reason: glasses, i hate going blind....
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard