ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
harold endean #202561 08/10/11 12:33 AM
G
I understand the earth can be a ground path and the whole pool, spa, screen cage, deck, pumps and cover may be somewhere above zero volts compared to some theoretical ground but it will all be the same amount above zero volts if everything is bonded together.

680.26(A) says it all

680.26 Equipotential Bonding.
(A) Performance. The equipotential bonding required by this section shall be installed to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area.

"Ground" is really pretty meaningless anyway. I have seen 35v between the ground electrode systems of 2 buildings (on my Dranitz). We ended up bonding them together to stop stuff from blowing up when we strung data cables between them.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

gfretwell #202563 08/10/11 08:20 AM
S
ok, so what we have is a code consession Greg, due to 680.26 trumping 250.6 (note HB commentary, and 250.6D's commentary)

that said, this immovable NEC mobius strip logic does not mitigate the underlying irresistable electrical theory via the introduction of componets becoming inversley proportial to their intended goals

~S~

harold endean #202569 08/10/11 09:45 AM
H
Greg,

I got it! I just thought of the perfect solution! I will router a line all around the hot tub on the wooden deck, stick the #8 bare in there and putty it all up, so that no one trips over the wire. Neat right?

And if it comes to a composite deck, I can use a hot knife to melt a track in the deck around the tub.

You know I am just kidding right? smile

harold endean #202573 08/10/11 01:08 PM
G
There is no conflict between 250.6 and 680.26.

You are still supposed to separate the neutral from the EGC anywhere on the load side of the service disconnect so you should not have any circuit current in the EGC.

Any current you see in the EGC is going to be between separate services and technically it will be on the line side of the EGCs. We tend to deny that exists and it is not in the scope of the NEC.
I had a big dust up with an FPL guy one day when he said there was no current flowing through the earth from their wye distribution services. He simply did not understand the idea that current takes ALL paths. I showed him there was an amp or two flowing in the ground wires running down his poles and he still denied that was current flowing through the earth.
This one had almost 3 amps

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #202582 08/10/11 09:56 PM
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
There is no conflict between 250.6 and 680.26.

You are still supposed to separate the neutral from the EGC anywhere on the load side of the service disconnect so you should not have any circuit current in the EGC.

Any current you see in the EGC is going to be between separate services and technically it will be on the line side of the EGCs. We tend to deny that exists and it is not in the scope of the NEC.
I had a big dust up with an FPL guy one day when he said there was no current flowing through the earth from their wye distribution services. He simply did not understand the idea that current takes ALL paths. I showed him there was an amp or two flowing in the ground wires running down his poles and he still denied that was current flowing through the earth.
This one had almost 3 amps

well while you're describing a GEC vs. an EGC correctly, mine would be they do not exist exclusively

or put otherwise, one may try and do the other's job , in that you 'EGC' a large piece of anything to earth , especially in the right path, and it may well become one of those 'all paths' you speak of

~S~

harold endean #202584 08/10/11 10:50 PM
G
I agree the GEC does become part of the distribution system but as long as everything on the load side of the MBJ is isolated from the neutral there should not be anything but fault current flowing and that should quickly operate the over current device. Outside it will certainly trip the GFCI

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #202585 08/11/11 07:38 AM
S
yes Greg, but let me pose a scenario.

Said GFI trips while the spas aren't even in operation

Naturally one would wonder about this.

Consider all ECG's and GEC's could be (and often are around here) married to the panel MBJ noodle bar

I suspect this is why the nec put (the old) 250.32B out to pasture, but the same phenomenon that inspired them to do so can still exist bettween dwellings, and even within dwellings.

consider, for example the old 3 wire dryers and stoves which bond noodles to their shells

~S~

harold endean #202596 08/11/11 06:05 PM
G
I would like to get involved in the investigation of a GFCI tripping with no load present.

Greg Fretwell
harold endean #202597 08/11/11 06:14 PM
G
I would like to get involved in the investigation of a GFCI tripping with no load present.
It would scream, "regrounded neutral" to me.

The code pretty much dictates that the grounded, grounding and GEC all get connected together in the service disconnect can. The only time this is not true is when the GEC lands somewhere else on the line side grounded conductor.
It still does not change the fact that the grounded and grounding conductors should never meet again.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #202619 08/14/11 06:33 PM
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
It would scream, "regrounded neutral" to me.

The code pretty much dictates that the grounded, grounding and GEC all get connected together in the service disconnect can. The only time this is not true is when the GEC lands somewhere else on the line side grounded conductor.
It still does not change the fact that the grounded and grounding conductors should never meet again.

agreed on all counts Greg

i'd only state that we've a lotta old, and mostly uninspected wiring in Vermont.

for instance, we're lousy with 'subpanels' without a floating noodle

they all seem to fall under that 'existing' black hole

which is often the bane of my existence, being i end up the 'bad news guy'
~S~

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard