ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#202298 07/30/11 01:27 PM
S
Hello,
I hope I'm asking this in the correct forum. What is the latest panel installed you saw that used fuses?

I have heard that some have seen them installed as late as 1972, 200 amp panels with fuses. I was surprised.

Was there anything in code that would prevent them from being installed today, given the proper adapters were used?

I think the first fuse 'panel' I saw was a simple ceramic fuse holder for some abandoned K&T wiring. It had two fuse holders, that I assume fused the hot and neutral sides of a single circuit. It was surface mounted about 6-7 feet from the floor, all exposed.

S
Hi switches, welcome to the board. I haven't ever install one or saw them installed on a newer building. I do remember seeing them in a catalog just a few years ago. I don't think anyone makes traditional fuse panel anymore. In theory one could be used but with the hassle to get it to meet code and usability of it, why would you?

G
My house in Md (built 1971) had a SqD fuse panel with "S" adapters.
As far as I know, you could install one today.

Greg Fretwell
I have to go with Greg; if you could find one,you could install it.

The only 'today' fuse panel that I know of, I saw in some Bussmann literature for selective coordination.
There are a few installed in a 'new' building at our county college.

John
Cat Servant
While there's no rule against having fuses for your overcurrent protection, I think you'd be torpedoed by a few other 'details.'

First off, I'm not sure there's room in a fuse box for a ground buss- or a place to terminate a ground wire from the feeder.

GFCI and, especially, AFCI protection might be a bit difficult to add.

I note the NEC has also banned screw-in fuses for 240v or multi-wire circuits.

Finally, I'm not sure I've even seen any fused panels that were even NEMA-3R rated- not even the ones mounted outdoors.

Reno:

GREAT points with AFCI!! And 240 volt. I guess the roof shingles over the fuse box don't make it 3R today!

John
G
... But what about the "device type" AFCI? It's in the code, it must be everywhere. wink

The SqD panel I had was the same can that they would put a 200a breaker panelboard in. There were places drilled and tapped for ground buses. I added one myself.
I always wonder just how much the builder could have possibly saved by using fuses by the time he added 20 "S" adapters and all those fuses. I did end up with a spare pullout since the only 240v thing installed was the A/C unit.

Greg Fretwell
I've been thinking... Do you think using fuses would make it more likely that a homeowner would check out the problem when a problem exists, rather than just resetting the breaker switch over and over? Or would that just keep Cooper/Bussman in business? I'm thinking about overload/short situations. Anyone in the UK have experience with fuses in every plug; how often do you guys actually replace one? I suppose you probably see the gum-wrapper/nail fuse from time to time. I have a melted christmas light plug from one of those, courtesy of my Dad's "fixing".

Wouldn't a time-delay fuse actually be better for nuisance tripping (thinking spa/hot tub) versus a traditional breaker? Of course, you'd have to come up with GFCI some other way.

G
I think fuses, as long as the holder rejects a larger size are far safer than a breaker. There is a lot less to go wrong.

The scary thing is they make an S adapter for 20a fuses that also takes a 30. I see them on 15ga wire. My neighbor had a fuse box full of them. I finally talked her into a service upgrade.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Noderaser. you've hit on the 'grounds up or down' argument regarding fuses vs. circuit breakers.

All I can say is that I've seen very few over-size breakers, while over-fusing seems to be the norm. Plus, I've never had to try to buy a replacement breaker at 8PM Sunday evening.

(Well, almost never. I did get a service call where the 100-amp breaker feeding a subpanel failed at a laundromat- and that was at 11PM Sunday laugh )

As for troubleshooting skills- in all honesty, I'm not impressed by my own. I'm even less impressed by folks whose first assumption is that the breaker is 'weak' or the GFCI 'defective.'

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard