ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Hello fellow sparktarians. I had what I feel was a bit of an odd ball situation today. It was a my g-friends truck but it could happen on any electrical circuit.

Lost a light circuit and determine that there was a short by how the fuse blew plus I ohm'ed out the circuit. I traced it to a bulb that the element had no resistance across the leads and until recently it worked. I have heard of conductive material becoming more resistive over time but not less. Has anyone come across this before? Thoughts?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Unlikely, it probably shorted out between the support wires or to the cap. Occasionaly, a part of a filament can reconnect to a support wire as it disintegrates. This can produce a brief period of lower resistance, but the filament is much hotter and usually blows again quite fast. Fuses are even more vital in cars than dwellings BTW. A mate once replaced his with solid wire in an old banger as they kept blowing. His 'prize' was a lapfull of molten copper drops raining from under the dash - and a morning in casualty having them dug out of his legs!

Wood work but can't!
G
Compare it to a new bulb. I bet you will be surprised how low the resistance of a cold bulb is. The resistance rises as the temperature of the filament rises.

Greg Fretwell
S
I'm going to look into the bulb more but the elements are intact and there's no conductive base on the bulb. One element ohms out at 0.00 ohms the other was low like 1.4. It does not appear that anything on the bulb fooling my meter. Replaced the bulb, ohmed the circuit, fused it and it works fine

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa

Link Copied to Clipboard