ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 408 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Wood work but can't!
Alan:
Nice car...
I guess it runs about $ 12K in US dollars?

I thought the Mercedes Smart car was funny.

John
About that, John, depending on the ROE and the dealer's mark. US customers always pay less than us because of the high Eu sales and other taxes, presently + 20%. Leasing the battery is an interesting concept, taking the sting out of the replacement event-horizon. I hope they don't sell many here. We are plagued by 'invalid carriages' [ho! ho!], equipped with a diesel lawnmower engine, usually aimed [?] by a guy who has shrunk with age and whose beret's brim now rests on the wheel - and which need no drivers license! Great for convicted drunk drivers and the blind!! Top speed 30mph- let's call that 20 shall we?
Here's one of the pesky snail-chasers, parked on top of a gendarme on a pedestrian crossing smile :-

http://parisatacertainage.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/16/no_license_car2.jpg

Last edited by Alan Belson; 04/26/11 06:55 PM.

Wood work but can't!
I only have a 7% sales tax here (NJ); and a $1.50 each 'tire tax' both are state taxes. Motor Vehicle fees (tags and documents) runs around $300/$400 via the dealership.

People here would be screaming at a 20% tax levy.

I guess all of us are going to have to face the fact of the oil market, and pay $$$ for gas & diesel, or opt for electric cars. Gasoline was $379/gal. this AM for regular & diesel is $4.09/gal., both of which are bargain prices compared to europe I believe.

John
F
Originally Posted by HotLine1
I only have a 7% sales tax here (NJ); and a $1.50 each 'tire tax' both are state taxes. Motor Vehicle fees (tags and documents) runs around $300/$400 via the dealership.

People here would be screaming at a 20% tax levy.

I guess all of us are going to have to face the fact of the oil market, and pay $$$ for gas & diesel, or opt for electric cars. Gasoline was $379/gal. this AM for regular & diesel is $4.09/gal., both of which are bargain prices compared to europe I believe.

John., it will not be very long now due I am allready pay about 1.52€/ liter on diesel fuel AFAIK for gaz I think they are at 1.65€/ liter.

So 1.52 Euros X3.8liter to US gallon = 5.78 { apx }Euros per gallon then add our exchange rate that will kick it higher.

So it will be about 8.48 a gallon { with current exchange rate { 1.45 or so I have to double check to make sure it is correct }

Merci,
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

I have to add a few things. The tax I referenced above is state sales tax on normal cars. In the event we are talking about high end luxury cars there are other taxes in addition. "Gas guzzler tax" based on the factory EPA MPG, "Luxury Tax" which I believe may be Federal, which both can add substantial $$$.

There are also some 'Rebates' on some hybrid cars, mostly from the Federal Gov., although some may be in the waning moments of their life.

Marc: Thanks for the fuel costs!

John
Oh no! Here's a whole bunch of 'em! eek

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/8463532/In-pictures-electric-cars.html

Look on the bright side. Someone's gonna be busy wiring up the millions of charging posts needed. smile

Wood work but can't!
L
Dodgy extension cords draped across driveways, hanging from lamp posts, tied to trees, cheap kludgy adapters made to plug in all sorts of wall receptacles. Followed by custom jumper cables and fast charge adapters so people can directly charge the battery pack in 5 minutes without those pesky safety devices limiting currents and temperatures. Not to mention the modified UPS systems so people can hook up to the drive batteries to power their houses for a week.

It is going to be an exciting new world for sparkies and handymen everywhere.

T
The HUGE problem with EVs is that they can't tolerate really bad weather; like the stuff that hits every winter.

They're terrific for the Virgin Islands, though.

If the weather is nasty humid -- they can't power air conditioning.

Tesla
F
Larry.,

The new EV are much better with protection than the old school EV were and there are quite few safeguards in there so the handydolts can not mess it up by tapping to the battery supply to run the inverter { due most modern EV battery voltage is 300 or more so it will not take much to make a heckva a bang if not heed with warning. }

As far for charger most new EV will have main charger controller in the EV as part of the vechile so there is a very small chance someone will find a way with it and they also designed they can take incomming " shore " power but no outgoing power back to the system at all.

For the charging station I know more and more are start to show up more places and that may cause some issue with the POCO network when the EV get more common I am not too suprised that you may end up useing triphase system for quick charging system.

Merci,
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard