ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 411 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#151290 08/25/06 05:45 AM
P
DISCLAIMER: This is an unprofessional medical opinion. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV (Calling Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard)

As far as medical problems stemming from shocks, they can be anything from nothing up to death. One can get heart problems or neuro-muscular problems from even a mild shock, or even brain damage. It also depends on where you were shocked, as well as voltage/current.

I have been severely shocked 3 times in my life. When I was indirectly hit by lightning, I suffered palpatations for a few days. When I was working on an old tube Oscilliscope, I got 120V hand to hand. I didn't suffer physical problems, but I was slightly traumatized by the incident (I went as far as shutting off the breaker when replacing a light bulb). The third time is when I rented an amplifier for my band. The amp had a 2 prong plug, and the case was grounded by the hot through a capacitor. When the guitarist handed me his guitat while I put my fingers on my bass to prevent feedback, I received a mild shock. I didn't even feel it at first, but then it progressed worse and worse. I suffered palpataions again as well as breathing problems, and was hospitalized for observation.

Electricity has to be respected. If there is any chance that something may be live and exposed, use PPE. When I work on tube amps, I wear rubber gloves (I forget the rating, but I think up to 1000 Volts).

scott2828, Welcome. It's good that you're getting checked out. Even if you felt fine, I'd still recommend it - better safe than sorry.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#151291 09/20/06 01:15 PM
Any update to this Scott?.

S
Oh im so sorry.
I just came across my own post on a search, having no memory realy sucks lol.
Trumpy, im doing good. Still have no memmory since acouple days after my injury (only can remeber around a day before its gone), walk with a cane, got back pain and twitches, lost 55 lbs somehow, "shock" head aches, somtimes i have loss of bowl control (not fun), yada, yada.

Talked with my wife today and L&I docs said theres nothing wrong with me its all in my head, and the path of least resistance was from my butt to my hand so i shouldnt have any brain problems. Wife thinks theres gona be a legal battle. I feel so bad cause what she has to go threw. My Wife and kids are such good support. I have no idea how many of the L&I docs I have seen but from what my wife said it sounds like alot. So i was doing a search seeing if I could find anybody that had the same thing happen to them.

Got 3 full grown dogs that I have no idea were they came from and should have stock in post it notes and notebooks by now, lol.
All in all, what didnt kill me will end up making me stronger, so im injoying my life with my fam a day at a time.
Im truckin along and hope someday soon i can be back to the husband I used to be and be employable.

Thank you guys.
I'm putting a link on my desktop so Ill rember to keep a update.

I hope Don(resqcapt19)sees this thread,His link needs to be updated. Don sent me some very good info on electrical shocks years ago.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard