ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200551 04/06/11 07:33 PM
G
greco Offline OP
Hello everyone,
I live in Colorado and our license renewal process is changing and i am having an issue with one part of the process. I would like to know if I am over reacting or others agree with me.
Beginning this year we will be required to take an assessment test. The test will focus on four core areas, grounding, wiring methods, theroy and calcs, code changes.
This test is designed and administered by a third party. If your score indicates you are weak in an area you will need to take training in that field.
I am supporting the general idea, my hang up is you will not be able to see any questions that you missed or their correct answers. you will be given your score and a personal development plan if needed.
does anyone else think this is lacking in checks and balances or should I shut up?
The reason I am given for not releasing the answers is that they do not want them shared. Even after the renewal window there are tests for reinstatements.

Thanks
Jeff

greco #200552 04/06/11 08:03 PM
Greco:

Here in NJ we (Electrical Contractors) are required to complete 34 hours of Continuing Education during each 3 year renewal cycle. EC Lic. are three year renewals. Out of the 34 hours, mandatory is 1 hr of Contractor Law, & 9 hours of NEC Changes for the 'new code'. The remaining 24 hours are all 'elective'; from State approved CEU courses by Board approved instructors. The EC is responsible for completing the hours and paying for the courses. There is NO 'testing' (as of yet)

My opinion on what you are required to do....Go for it! Bone-up on anything you think you are weak in and walk into the test with confidence. The part about not giving out the incorrect answers leads me to believe that they only have one test??

Good Luck!!

John
greco #200558 04/06/11 10:48 PM
G
If you have a problem taking tests, practice tests wink

There are a number of places on the net starting here that have practice tests. Assuming this is open book, look up every answer and match up the code language.

That will give you confidence in reading the code and taking tests. Then go ace that silly test.

Greg Fretwell
Hi there Jeff,
This sounds like a pretty good thing to me.
As in, NONE of us in this trade knows EVERYTHING about it, sure some may be pretty close, but everyone will have at least one area in which they are weak.
If I were you, I'd be using this opportunity to find out where your weakness is.
A little bit of learning never did any one any harm and it sure as eggs doesn't make you any lesser of an electrician.

One thing I have tried to instill into any apprentice is this, after you get your ticket, don't go throwing out the notes you made from your night school classes until you know all of the material in them.

Is this going to be a full written exam or one of them multi-guess things?

Trumpy #200565 04/07/11 11:09 AM
G
greco Offline OP
Thanks for the responses.
I do like the idea of finding out weak spots, what I don't like is someone saying you are weak in grounding ( or whatever ) and not proving it. I have my new books picked out ( '11' code and handbook and a prep book from Mike Holt ) I am not worried about the test but I like answers.
I believe it is a 25 question multiple choice test they will have many questions to choose from so it would be rare it two testers had the exact same test.
It looks like no one else is quite as bothered as I am so I will try to let it go.
Thanks again

jeff

Link Copied to Clipboard