ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 293 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
MAH Offline OP
I have been trying to lock down a decision on a new multimeter and was looking at the Klein cl2000 at the wholesaler last week

http://www.service.kleintools.com/c...28P0020%29:1+KD01YYPRD%28A0150%29:CL2000

Retail is 210 CAD on the CL2000

it has a couple nice features like a magnet on the back for hands free operations, and the back light with the additional light near the clamp is nifty too, but I have gotten some inaccurate measurements from cheaper meters in the past and I am hesitant to stray from a fluke meter.

Low (0-100) amp draws and accurate resistance readings are my main concern with a meter, and I didn't catch an internal meter resistance when shopping or looking through the product info but I imagine it is high

Any opinions ?

Thanks very much

G
Meters really need to be recalibrated at least every 2 years, some say once a year.
I think accuracy, for our purposes, should come from just about any name brand meter so the question is how robust the construction is, the features you like and how much you want to pay. Klein is certainly a name brand that has a good reputation. I would call/email them and see what their service policy is. The UEI clamp I have, had a policy that for $40-50 they would repair or replace any pile of parts you sent them that looked like it used to be a meter.
I got this one from my neighbor, it was beat to hell and dead. They sent me a brand new one back for the service flat rate.

Greg Fretwell
K
What’s interesting is that UEI makes that $210.00 CL2000 meter for Klein, but basically the same UEI DL369 meter in the link below sells for only around $65.00. The UEI even has a detachable clamp head. I guess there is a premium associated with carrying the Klein name.

DL369

UEI Clamp Meter

G
I have no complaints on the DL250 I have.
It was really aimed at HVAC techs with a capacitor checker but it is pretty handy when you are working on any motor.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Greg Fretwell
Greg,

is that meter around the ground wire??

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

G
Yep that was just a picture that showed the meter well. It was part of my ground wire survey. That was a low one.

Greg Fretwell
M
MAH Offline OP
Thanks very much for the replies, I had no Idea the UEI meters were a better bang for my buck.

K
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I have no complaints on the DL250 I have.
It was really aimed at HVAC techs with a capacitor checker but it is pretty handy when you are working on any motor.

We had a couple of their DMM’s in the shop I used to work in years ago. I always thought they were decent and they seemed to have a lot of features. I accidentally turned one into a lump of charcoal on the HV cap of a microwave, but that was all on me. It’s true when they say live and learn, as I haven’t made that mistake since.

G
I bet UEI will replace it for the flat rate service charge.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard