ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
That's a good point, Larry.
I was just trying to point out that it's a good idea to minimize the amount of shared stuff. If you're sharing 1 ATS with other people who turn out to be deadbeats, you're up the creek. If their frugality only hurts them but leaves your store in good shape, so much the better.

Ghost307
W
I install mostly Generac and Kohler sets, either can be ordered with lugs on the breaker that will accept multiple wires, eliminating the need for a dist. panel or wireway. Each tennant can have a complete run from genset to transfer switch with no joint in it.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
J
Thanks for all the good info guys,I will order a generac with the extra lugs on the breaker,if I get this contract.They want
the generator mounted on the roof of the building,what is the best way to install it on the roof?

F
Before you can mount the generator on the roof there are few thing you will need to check it out with the building engineer to make sure they can support the weight of generator unit and other requirement needs.

and get a rough idea how big the generator size wise you want and let us know or concat the generator manufacter they will give you a listing of weights of the units and footprint size as well so you will know much weight it will sit on the roof.

I am not too suprised there are some case you may have to add addtional support braces or beams to handle addtional loads.

And mount them with viberation isolators to keep the noise down.

If this is Natural Gaz it is not too bad but with Diesel fuel you may have to find a way to bring up fuel to the unit so that is the other item you may have to look at it.

I have installed couple units on the roof and I will say run by the buiding engineer first to make sure they can support as I mention earlier.

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

G
Marc is sure right about that!
I put a 450kW unit on the roof of a lab building and it involved the structure, vibration, and a host of other issues. They even had to coordinate the generator testing schedule with the lab's experiments because the vibration was enough even through the isolators to disturb the mixtures that they were working on.
Subsequent maintenance was a nightmare working on a generator in the rain and winter on the roof; not to mention that fact that they kept getting visits from the local authorities whenever it ran because the sound traveled to houses over a block away since the genset was on the roof.
Oh, and the Fire Department would only accept it if it was natural gas. No way were they going to buy off on a rooftop fire that could drip diesel fuel down from the roof of a burning building.

Ghost307
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard