ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 411 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
I just ran a cable to everything with a rj45 on it. That is two satellite boxes, Replay TV DVR, printer and a bunch of PCs. Mostly I am file sharing and if I am moving big files around, speed is important. My problem is my switch is 100mb, even though I have some 1gb LAN cards. I am just too cheap to replace the switch.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
twh Offline
I stopped at the first link, so don't give me too much grief about the source. I just don't care enough to search further.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/diff568ab.htm

It's a ground-up or down argument. It's only bad if your helper is ground-up and you're ground-down, in the same room. I had my last job (T568A) tested by an independent lab. However, I haven't tested T568B, so it might have gone better and I might have saved a couple cables.

Has anyone tested both to cat6 standard? That would be really helpful.

twh #199081 02/13/11 01:08 AM
P
Originally Posted by twh
It's a ground-up or down argument. It's only bad if your helper is ground-up and you're ground-down, in the same room.

Been there. Except my helper was an industrial electrician and I was a 12-year-old. Thye result: mixed ground patterns, but I wired faster, so thee were moRe ups.grin I could see thyat happening with data.

Btw, all of my cat5 is ty-rapped mixed with phone, romex, se, speaker, and just about every other type of cable known to man with no problems.

M
Merlin Offline OP
Thanks for all the great information. All cat6 is installed, terminated (T568B), and all equipment back on-line. Now waiting on network guy to relocated some equipment and make any required changes. Thanks again!

S
I picked up a 1 Gb switch for home (4 ports only) under $20. Not a bad price, but not all my stuff has Gb cards. Now I have found that the push connections that I made were not that good. I highly recommend using a puch down tool that terminates all pairs at once (unless you are only doing your own house) and some are better than others.

Wow...
Reading this really puts me in the stone age!

My laptop (home) has a patch cord to the DSL modem, and a USB 4 port extra hub & wireless mouse & keyboard.

Sure sounds like I'm missing a lot of 'good stuff'!

John
G
It is pretty handy having a network. I have an old laptop that runs my Fax, a scanner, the weather station and a big disk drive, all on the network. Once you do that you will wonder how you ever lived without it. The fax and scanner both feed into shared files so anything you do is available to any other machine on the network.
Hook a network printer to that and you can work from anywhere in the house.

Greg Fretwell
K
Originally Posted by Gregtaylor
Proper test equipment can tell which has been used and except for rare exceptions, B is the common protocol. Using A will usually work but won't test.

Why won't the 568A configuration be able to test? Do you mean if one end of the cable is configured 568B and the other is mistakenly configured 568A?

T
twh Offline
One of our guys just finished a couple hundred cables all terminated A and they tested okay. I don't think the testing machine can tell the difference. Anyway, it seems A is the government standard on both sides of the border.

twh #199862 03/12/11 07:12 AM
Whatever happened to ECN member Hbiss on a subject such as this?
I'm sure he'd have a dollar or two in on this argument. grin

Last edited by Trumpy; 03/12/11 07:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard