ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I was looking at a remodel ysterday. The house was k&t, probable from the 20's. In the baseboard, it has what looked like a single outlet. It was actually a outlet screwed into a light socket. Sorry for no pic, but what would that have been used for. It was a standard size single gang brass faceplate with a socket. Let me know so I can tell the homeowner.

G
I have seen them with plug fuses in them.

Greg Fretwell
W
According to wikipedia "When electricity was first introduced into the household, it was primarily used for lighting. At that time, many electricity companies operated a split-tariff system where the cost of electricity for lighting was lower than that for other purposes. This led to portable appliances (such as vacuum cleaners, electric fans, and hair driers) being connected to light bulb sockets. However, as electricity became a common method of lighting houses and operating labour-saving appliances, a safe means of connection to the electric system other than using a light socket was needed. The original two pin electrical plug and socket were invented by Harvey Hubbell and patented in 1904."
quoted from web page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_plug

The Edison light bulb socket was standardized before the electrical outlet was, and the house builder probably didn''t know which power plug configuration would win, as the NEMA 1-15 did. Today, no safety committee would accept the Edison light bulb socket if it were a new proposal (you can get your finger inside it and touch both sides of the line).

P
Old christmas lights also had e27 connectors on them.

T
You're looking at the original method of connecting retail loads -- before the plug. Everything is decades older than you might think.

Tesla

Link Copied to Clipboard