ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#197052 11/06/10 05:58 PM
K
KJay Offline OP
So, I just received the NJATC code changes book I ordered a few days ago titled "Significant Changes to the NEC 2011" and I must say, it seems a little extra-ordinarily thick this time around. I was hoping for an easy read, but it looks like I will be logging some major bathroom library time over the next several days.
BTW, Amazon has the 2011 code book and the Handbook priced less than the NFPA does even with its member discount and with free shipping to boot. I think the NFPA wanted like another $12.00 for regular UPS ground shipping.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

KJay #197053 11/06/10 06:22 PM
KJay:
If you think the 'changes' is heavier...wait till you get the '11 NEC softbound.

Yes, Amazon was cheaper, both the '11 soft and the 'changes'. Last (,08) Barnes & Noble had the '08 soft & the NJATC changes bundled for $90.

I'm holding back for the Handbook & CD combo, 'coming soon'.

John
G
I got my 08 handbook CD from here. It was about the same price as anywhere else I could find it, buck 85.

Greg Fretwell
L
Haven't even seen the 2011.
But know it will be in effect Jan,1,2011 here, with amendments.

K-Jay, Any iside skinny on it?

K
KJay Offline OP
Originally Posted by leland
Haven't even seen the 2011.
But know it will be in effect Jan,1,2011 here, with amendments.

K-Jay, Any iside skinny on it?

Lee, I have no idea what MA has up their sleeve this time around. I haven't even seen a draft of the amendments yet. I’m going to have to browse the state website to see if I can locate a copy of them.

K
KJay Offline OP
Originally Posted by HotLine1
KJay:
If you think the 'changes' is heavier...wait till you get the '11 NEC softbound.

Yes, Amazon was cheaper, both the '11 soft and the 'changes'. Last (,08) Barnes & Noble had the '08 soft & the NJATC changes bundled for $90.

I'm holding back for the Handbook & CD combo, 'coming soon'.

I actually ordered the Handbook, but apparently it won't be available to ship until sometime either later this month or early next month. Not sure what the hold up is.

KJay #197070 11/07/10 03:57 PM
Kjay:

Handbook printing process and preparation is more involved?

Best reason that comes to mind.

Interesting that my neighbor to the north (Mass) jumps right into the 'new code' on the first day of the year!

We (NJ) have required CEU (9 hrs of Code change) mandatory within the total 34 hrs for each license renewal and the adoption date could be 1 to 1-1/2 years down the road.

We're still awaiting the revisions to our Rehab Code, which is to include cherry picking 2008 items. Rehab is still under the 2005 NEC.

John
G
I am still waiting for the handbook CD and that is even farther down the road. I am still not sure why they make the CD is so much more expensive than the book. You certainly can't print, bind and ship a book as cheaply as you can press a CD. AOL used to give CDs away for free as an advertising gimmick.

I suppose it is the old George Carlin line "because they can".

Greg Fretwell
R
The only change book I have so far is Mike Holt's. It is about the same size as the 2008 one. I won't see the NJATC one until I go to class in Indianapolis in late December.

As far as the new soft cover NEC, I don't like the paper...much to slick and shiny.

The PDF version could use a much better index where you could go directly to a section. It only lets you go directly to a Chapter. They need to go back to the index method that they used for the 99 PDF.

Don(resqcapt19)
H
John,

2005 NEC, wasn't that a much easier time and code to deal with! smile
Between 2008, Rehab and worrying about 2011 NEC, I think it would have been easier if I became a plumber! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard