ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
sparky 4
Recent Posts
2017 NEC Changes
by HotLine1. 12/14/17 07:24 PM
Dimmable LED 2x4 lay in fixtures
by HotLine1. 12/14/17 07:15 PM
Casino Wiring methods
by HotLine1. 12/09/17 10:44 AM
Ground wire Size to water Line.
by HotLine1. 12/05/17 12:11 PM
Flexible conduit to an outside Spa
by gfretwell. 12/05/17 12:28 AM
New in the Gallery:
Gallery Test
Popular Topics(Views)
243,055 Are you busy
179,491 Re: Forum
170,414 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#196511 - 10/09/10 11:27 PM Neon lights  
sparkync  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 830
NC
I have a customer who has neon lighting around his business exterior. I was on his roof checking on another project with the manager up there with me. The manager started walking around his roof area while I was checking on the other project. He called me over to some flex that was feeding the transformers for the neon lights. It was making a buzzing sound. As I was checking it, my finger brushed up against the flex and I got a small tingle. I got my tester and checked to see if there was any voltage on the flex and found out there was around 85 to 90 volts from the flex to a piece of conduit right below it. The conduit actually had little white dots where the flex had been touching it, and also the conduit had a rusty area in the same area. Other parts of the conduit had no discoloration. I checked other parts of the flex around the roof and the voltage was not as high as it was where we heard the buzzing sound. Do these flex carry regular current carrying condutors to the tubes, or are there just electodes in them? I haven't worked much with neon lights, but I did tell him it needed to be checked out. That much voltage on the exterior of the flex could pose a shock problem, don't you think??? Thanks for the input..


Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#196512 - 10/10/10 06:14 AM Re: Neon lights [Re: sparkync]  
Trumpy  Offline


Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,223
SI,New Zealand
Mate,
You want to be very careful testing a thing like this especially with test gear that is only "good" for 600 or 1000V.
Neon signs use a secondary side voltage (depending upon the size of the sign) of between 15 and 50kV.
The wires on these signs need to have the proper silicone insulated wires, you can't use ordinary wire at these voltages, especially if they are exposed to the weather.

I went to a place a few years back where people were getting shocks (not just a tingle) off the doors in a restaurant kitchen, I found that the neon sign on the roof had really dodgy wiring and was leaking to earth via the steel roof and framework, but not enough current to blow any protection gear.

My advice would be to tell the guy to get a proper sign guy to have a look at the install, it sounds like it needs some work.


#196531 - 10/11/10 10:56 AM Re: Neon lights [Re: Trumpy]  
sparkync  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 830
NC
Trumpy, thanks for the advise. That's what I'll do. No sense in getting in something way over my head. I'll stick to what I know:)



Member Spotlight
Grover
Grover
Sebago, ME, USA
Posts: 109
Joined: January 2005
Show All Member Profiles 
Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.019s Queries: 15 (0.011s) Memory: 0.7533 MB (Peak: 0.8788 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-12-15 06:36:03 UTC