ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
sabrown #195847 08/25/10 02:08 PM
G
Shane, you are not a likely candidate for an electric car. These things may be able to do 70 MPH and they may be able to go 100 miles but not at the same time.
I keep trying to justify an electric car but I am retired in Florida and I don't really drive very far. Unfortunately that is what makes a regular car not be that expensive. I use a tank or two of gas a month. It will take a long time to pay for an electric car at that rate even if the electricity was free.

Greg Fretwell
L
I am definitely interested in what temperature and time away from the charger does to battery capacity. How the New England cold affects the battery would be my main concern. Also, if the battery discharges to a lower limit, how long can it stay in that state until battery damage occurs?

Editted to remove unneeded statements.

LarryC #195851 08/25/10 07:35 PM
M
Ford among other manufactures have a real life
Canadian cold testing track way up north in Thompson MB.

It gets to -40 (before the wind chill) in the winter and the manufactures take prototypes there to see what happens as to what they think will happen.

mbhydro #195852 08/25/10 07:40 PM
M
With all the block heater outlets in the office parking lots tourists from the southern US think that Canadians have had electric cars for years.

At least once each summer I have to explain to some person what the plugs are used for.

mbhydro #195853 08/25/10 08:00 PM
I would like to know the charging time requirements as a round commute trip would be real close to the 100 mile range. The range would probably be less, as most of my trip is highway speed(60-75 on good days)

Cost comparisons would also factor in, as I would have concerns of battery maintenance costs and life expectancy.

As my commute car was totaled last year, I weighed a Prius vs a standard Civic and the Civic now has 23k miles on it.

John
S
Per this site, for the LEAF's 24kWh Li-ion battery:

Charging time: 16 hours at a 100V outlet, 8 hours at a 200V outlet

Fast-charging time: 30 minutes 0-80%

The sparky in the Nissan video looked to be pulling in #6 wire, but I'd imagine they have multiple options, depending on how much power is available, on down to a simple 15A plug. 24kWh would only take 2 hours if you could charge at 50A 240V. Now, one thing to note is that Li-Ion charge rapidly to 80%, but very slowly after that. They're also extremely sensitive to heat. If they get too warm during charge (or discharge), protective electronics have to STOP!! or risk causing thermal runaway and the battery turning into a big fireball. I've not heard of any particular issues with heat or cold beyond this, but much-abused cell phone Li-Ions only seem to last 2 years, so I'm wondering how Nissan thinks these will last 10 under similar abuse.

IIRC, the batteries last much longer (years/degradation-wise) if you don't discharge them below 30% or charge above 80%. Chevy Volt only uses about half the capacity of their battery for this reason- if Nissan does the same, then that 24kWh battery is really only ever going to need about 12kWh of charge, and you can cut estimated charging times in half.

...and the range. frown

Wood work but can't!
Greg, I don't know if AV expects a cut. My guess is that the installer gets all of the money, because the installer is acting as an independent contractor, not an employee or a franchise operator.

AV may get their $ from Nissan, and possibly by charging for the installer training (on specifics of the charger, a 30A 120/240 circuit) and from selling (or leasing) the charger tester to the installer.

Cliff

Thanks for the info on charging Li-ions, Steve. I've been given an electric bicycle, in really good condition except the lead-acids are nadgered. Just the job for nipping down the bar or the baker's shop! I'm in the process of importing a set of Li-ions and a charger from the mnfr. in England and will bear in mind the 30% - 80% charge advice.

Wood work but can't!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard