ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Dear all,

I'm new in this forum, I hope someone will help me...

Is it possible to install some panelboards in a control cabin, in my case is a mobile office?
Does the mobile office must have some certificates to install the panelboards inside it?
I'd clarify that the panelboard is classified as "Industrial control panels".

Thanks.

G
By "mobile office" are you talking about something with wheels on it?
In the US a trailer or motorized office like that would usually be titled as a "recreational vehicle" to avoid stricter requirements a "home". (US Department of Housing and Urban Development rules).

In the NEC that puts you in Article 551.

551.45 Distribution Panelboard.
(A) Listed and Appropriately Rated. A listed and appropriately rated distribution panelboard or other equipment specifically listed for this purpose shall be used. The grounded conductor termination bar shall be insulated from the enclosure as provided in 551.54(C). An equipment grounding terminal bar shall be attached inside the enclosure of the panelboard.
(B) Location. The distribution panelboard shall be installed in a readily accessible location with the RV in the setup mode. Working clearance for the panelboard with the RV in the setup mode shall be not less than 600 mm (24 in.) wide and 750 mm (30 in.) deep.
Section 551.45(B) was revised for the 2008 Code. Some recreational vehicles have expandable room sections (or slide-out rooms) that are in a stowed position when the vehicle travels from place to place. Working clearance in front of equipment in an expandable section must be maintained when the section is expanded in the setup mode.
Exception No. 1: Where the panelboard cover is exposed to the inside aisle space, one of the working clearance dimensions shall be permitted to be reduced to a minimum of 550 mm (22 in.). A panelboard is considered exposed where the panelboard cover is within 50 mm (2 in.) of the aisle’s finished surface.
Exception No. 2: Compartment doors used for access to a generator shall be permitted to be equipped with a locking system.
(C) Dead-Front Type. The distribution panelboard shall be of the dead-front type and shall consist of one or more circuit breakers or Type S fuseholders. A main disconnecting means shall be provided where fuses are used or where more than two circuit breakers are employed. A main overcurrent protective device not exceeding the power-supply assembly rating shall be provided where more than two branch circuits are employed.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I think we need to know the specifics; I suspect you have a specific issue you are trying to address.

In the most basic terms, placing a bunch of switchgear and transformers in a box on wheels has the effect of making it all into a single 'appliance.' In certain applications, I can see the AHJ wanting a UL sticker, engineers' stamp, or some such assurance that the various clearance and grounding issues have been properly addressed.

For good or bad, there is a growing bias against any 'home-built' efforts where there is a commercial product available. It's been my practice to research the relevant standards, and be able to demonstrate to all that my assembly almost certainly would pass such an examination.

Anybody notice the OP is in Italy?

John
G
Yup, that is why I just referenced the NEC article and let him take away whatever was useful to him. It is all I know about it wink

Greg Fretwell
D
djk Offline
While I'm not familiar with Italian electrical regulations and I don't think we have any Italian experts on these boards, I would strongly suspect that it does require certification.

In most countries there are far tougher regulations applied to anything that is designated as a "work place" than than would be applicable to DIY work that you carry out in your own home.

I would strongly suggest that you seek local advice in Italy as you could walk yourself into a whole lot of legal and insurance issues if you don't carry out work in any work/office/industrial environment in accordance with local regulations.

Originally Posted by michelebacocchia

Is it possible to install some panelboards in a control cabin, in my case is a mobile office?

By mobile office, I take it you mean a pre-fabricated building, made out of aluminium sheets filled with polystyrene foam, commonly known as "sandwich panel"?

Does the mobile office must have some certificates to install the panelboards inside it?

As long as the panels are installed in accordance with the manufacturers specifications, I don't really see a problem.
I say this this with one reservation,it is VERY difficult to give advice over the internet, considering I can't see what you are talking about and the description is fractous at best.
I urge you to talk to a local Inspector or your local equivalent.

M
I know when I worked a big job in Massachusetts in 98. Part of the temporary service was a "job trailer" with 300 KVA XFMR in it to bring power to the jobs temp panels.

P
main concern here is grounding and accessibility.

Paul Deelen
phone +31736139136
shooter@home.nl
skype to paul.deelen
Hey Paul:
Welcome to ECN forums from one of the 'Jersey Guys'!!
Jump in any of the topics as you wish!!

John

Link Copied to Clipboard