ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 263 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#195726 08/19/10 03:10 PM
S
SJT Offline OP
On a constuction site there was an extension cord. (not off the shelf) It was made with Hard Usage rubber cord, male plug on one end, and a 1900 with a Quad receptacle on the other. The AHJ is turning it down. He says the box is not used for it's intended use. Is this permitted on a constuction site? Or, must you use an off the shelf type cord? Thanks for the input. Good Day

SJT #195727 08/19/10 04:15 PM
G
It's the 1900 thats the issue. A 1900 box is listed to be mounted or supported by a structural member. If you used an FS box with a CGB or kelems it should be OK but the cost would be ridiculous. Buy a cord.

G
I bet you had a Romex connector on the 1900 box too wink

You can also use a listed cord receptacle but there inspectors who don't like home built or repaired cords, no matter what you do.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Isn't that the truth, Greg!

The "no DIY cords" crowd got a boost from OSHA, and have applied the 'pendant cord' requirements to such efforts. That is, the box needs to have the connector attached using a hub (lock nuts alone aren't enough) and a proper strain relief connector. Such a requirement is found in the NEC under 'pendants.'

"Proper" in this case meaning one of the types with rubber grommets; Romex connectors are listed for use with flexible cord (look at the box), but not for this application. "Pendant" connectors have a much more rigorous strain relief test.

The next issue, of course, is the OSHA desire to have all cords, on all construction sites, be GFCI protected.

I had assembled a rather nice such center, and had presented it to a certain very prominent 'code authority,' a man who has made a career out of taking pictures of falling-apart 1600-box assemblies. He conceeded that the effort looked worthy ..... until, years later, he sent me a link and asserted that now ALL DIY assemblies were banned.

Alas, the 'link' was to the entire Code of Federal Regulations, and I have yet to find whatever it was he was citing.

I fail to see where the AHJ comes into this discussion. Building permits, after all, are on the building - not the builder. I don't believe that a contractor's tools are under the jurisdiction of the building inspector. If he doesn't like it, he has the same right as anyone to call OSHA- no more.

GFI protection, no lighting on the same circuit, that's about it for me. A lot of jobs have a note within the spec that the EC is responsible for temp power, receptacles w/GFI at defined distances, lighting , etc. I do check GFIs.

As to 'patched' when I see them, I say something. As to homemade...I don't feel that it's my axe to grind. Unsafe items get my attention also, usually with a verbal to the offender. Usually I hear...'that's not my cord'. Most ECs keep an eye open, especially when they have scheduled inspections.

On the OSHA side, I know of one jobsite that raised a few $$$ for cords.

John
H
I have seen where the EC's use that type of box for temp wiring, but what they do is mount everything on a piece of wood. Then they move the wood around and they secure the wood post to the I-beams where needed.

S
SJT Offline OP
Thanks. I think they need to set up a small power station designed for work sites.

Link Copied to Clipboard